Do I need a passport in Cancun?

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Carter

Do I need a passport in Cancun?

The airlines told me no passport and then today I pick up a Mexico 2000 book and it says yes. We are going in 3 weeks. I have an original birth certificate.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 09:06 PM
marilyn

An original birth certificate and a photo ID is sufficient.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:25 PM
dan motl

original birth certificate will probably
not work as you need a certified gift
certificate which usually has a raised
seal.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:27 PM
dan motl

oops--I meant birth certificate--not
gift certificate

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 02:26 PM
Suzanne

Bring your drivers' license and a birth certificate - the original OR a certified copy with raised or colored seal will work.

Incidentally, if the name you use now is different than the name on your birth certificate, bring a copy (uncertified xerox ok) of your marriage license or whatever as well. If you're a newlywed, you can travel as Miss Maiden Name and use maiden name birth certificate and drivers' license even if you will take your husband's name.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 12:15 PM
merriem

You shouldn't have any problem at all with a birth certificate and driver's license. However, for the future, you might consider getting a passport, and then when you want to go somewhere where you need one, it won't be a last minute race. Have a great trip.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 08:06 AM
Christie

Mexico is very lenient on their requirements for entry by U.S. citizens. The Mexican officials are not really concerned about you overstaying there- it is not a problem. The only concern is the US officials when you re-enter on your return. Your birth certificate will work just fine! I personally have used my Texas Driver's License and Voter Registration card every time I have ventured into Mexico and have never been hassled in the least.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 10:44 AM
Carter

Thank you all very much.