Reload this Page >

Disturbing infor about Trip Advisor deleting reviews of sexual assualts

Nov 2nd, 2017, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...urnal-sentinel
Nov 6th, 2017, 07:34 AM

nanabee~ Trip Advisor doesn't allow negative posts in their travel forums. Doesn't matter the specific topic being discussed.
Nov 6th, 2017, 10:04 AM

Not true Suze. In fact there is a large thread on the Playa del Carmen forum discussing just this topic.
Nov 6th, 2017, 11:32 AM

That is good it is allowed on that forum. And hopefully it will remain and not be removed by "the community" or by TA editors.

I said what I did above because on the Mexico forum I participate regularly there is a long-time & consistent moderation with negative topics being closed as inappropriate or removed entirely and almost immediately.
Nov 7th, 2017, 05:14 AM

Would TA have deleted if men were raped? Or it was a murder? I doubt it. Another instance of who cares about womens crimes?
Nov 7th, 2017, 09:06 AM

>>Would TA have deleted if men were raped? Or it was a murder? I doubt it. Another instance of who cares about womens crimes?<<

I think you are grossly misinterpreting the issue.

Per TA's statement: >>We apologize to the sexual assault victim reported on in the article, who had her forum post removed seven years ago on TripAdvisor. At the time, we had a policy whereby we judged content to be in breach of our guidelines if it did not adhere to family-friendly language. More than seven years ago that meant all language needed to be G-rated.<<

>>A few years ago, we changed that policy to allow more descriptive reviews <<

I'm certainly no promoter/fan of TA but this seems to be very old news and apparently a report of murder or a male rape would have been handled exactly the same way under the old rules/guidelines.
Nov 9th, 2017, 05:36 AM

Received this message on Trip Advisor. Don't be so quick to condemn them.

<<
You are also likely seeing posts sharing these articles as well as TA users commenting on the articles. These discussions are being allowed by moderators, and we ask you not to vote these as inappropriate, which, as you may be aware, can lead to the posts being automatically removed. If you want to bring any of these topics to a moderator's attention, or ask us about one of them, please feel free to contact us via our Help Center page, or by emailing [email protected].

It’s important that we allow the TripAdvisor community to use our platform as a channel to allow their voices to be heard, especially when it comes to sexual assault or other crimes. The forums provide all types of useful information and answers to travelers around the world, and we want to ensure that travelers are able to get the most up to date information as they make their travel decisions.

For background on the media coverage about TripAdvisor, the media interviewed a woman who 7 years ago reported being sexually assaulted in Mexico, and her forum post was removed for not meeting our older forum guidelines in regards to family-friendly content. When we were recently made aware that her post had been removed, we republished it in line with our current policies and have apologized to the victim for her experience. We are horrified that this victim and others who have posted or tried to post on our site have experienced assaults on their vacations, and feel that other travelers should be aware of these incidents.

Over the last several years, changes to allow more descriptive content has yielded many first-hand accounts of serious incidents being published. A simple search of TripAdvisor will show numerous reviews and forum content from travelers over the last several years who wrote about their first-hand experiences that include matters of robbery or theft, assault and rape. We believe any first-hand experience should be posted to our site as a means to communicate to travelers looking for information on where they should travel.>>>