Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   distance between ariel tram, poas volcano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/distance-between-ariel-tram-poas-volcano-190175/)

debbie Jan 23rd, 2003 06:37 AM

distance between ariel tram, poas volcano?

Someone anyone - hi can anyone tell me distance between San Jose and Ariel Tram and then ariel tram to Puntarenas??? Help - also any recomended drivers? We will have our luggage so need someone to stay with the car?<BR>Also would Poas volcano be better starting out in San Jose and then ending up in Puntarenas? Help!!!

Sue Jan 23rd, 2003 11:53 AM

Some confusion here. Poas is one place the Ariel Tram is another. Are you planning on doing both or just fishing for which one to do? The tram is on the other side of the mountains in the Sarapiqui area...I believe it is in Guapiles. Fairly easy to get to on the highway through Braullio. Poas is on the San Jose side of the mountains. Poas would be closer to see and then get to Puntarenas. It is best to get there as early as possible also because it does cloud over. I am not sure what you meant by &quot;better starting out in San Jose?&quot;. What would your options be for getting to Poas? Are you staying in San Jose or do you want to stop at those areas on the way to Puntarenas from the airport? Or were you thinking of making a day trip from Puntarenas.

debbie Jan 24th, 2003 06:25 AM

hi there, we are leaving from San Jose going to Puntarenas and wanted to spend the day seeing something on the way. it sounds like Poas is kingd of on the way? Do you know if we would have time to go to Poas and stop at Lapaz waterfalls or Sarchi and still be in Puntarenas around 4 - 4:30? Thanks - also we wanted to hire a private driver if you know anyone as we will have our luggage with us? thanks

pjr Jan 24th, 2003 12:05 PM

Hi Debbie:<BR><BR>I am not sure how far Puntarenas is from San Jose (maybe 3 hours, or more). What time would you plan on leaving San Jose? I don't think you would have time to do both. We did Paos and La Paz in one day, but we were staying at Vista del Valley. You could ultimately do Paos rather quickly, but La Paz is fairly big and takes a while to walk around. Especially if you see all the waterfalls. Quite a hike.<BR><BR>We had a private driver named Oscar from Vista del Valley.

Sue Jan 24th, 2003 01:18 PM

Hi debbie,<BR>Puntarenas is about 90 minutes away from San Jose. Add a little more if you are going up by the Caribbean Village.<BR>Certainly enough time to see Sarchi. Poas is about 1 1/2-2 hrs from San Jose. You would want to get there as early as possible because by 9:30-10am it is usually clouded over. The La Paz Waterfall gardens do take some time but You could stop by the gardens for a little while. They are only about 1 hr from San Jose. Be sure to allow plenty of time to get to Puntarenas. I would want to be safe and allow at least 3hrs which would mean you should leave the gardens by 2 or 2:30 at the latest.<BR>Regarding driving times. You can't always predict. I would allow for the longer times just to be safe. If you have a driver you would make better time. It is easy to get lost in CR. The street signs aren't very good.