Directions: Liberia to Malpais

Sep 23rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Directions: Liberia to Malpais

I 'm looking for the quickest route from Liberia to Malpais in late November. I find it hard to believe that taking the ferry is the best route but maybe I'm wrong. Any time estimates would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnny C.
Sep 24th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Hello Jonny, there are to ways.
1. You take the american highway to Puntarenas and ferry to Paquera or
2. you go down via Santa Cruz, Nicoya to Playa Naraja. Between Naraja and Paquera is no paved road and no bus connection. If you make your trip by bus you need a taxi for this part of your travel.
Saludos
costaklaus - www.costaricaweb.de
Sep 24th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! How long would the second route through Santa Cruz take me if I drove it?

Johnny
Sep 24th, 2005, 08:35 PM

Hi Johnny,
We have gone both ways. Twice have driven the land route. Much prefer the ferry. The difference in time is almost nothing and you get to sit and relax for an hour and a half while the ferry carries you. Either way will run you about 6 hours.

This past July, we arrived at the ferry on a Saturday morning (holiday weekend--we'd forgotten) about 9:00 only to find the lines incredibly long. We weren't going to get on that thing until late in the day. We were traveling with an infant and it was hot. So, mainly with the thought of staying cool, we drove back up toward Liberia, crossed over to the peninsula on the Friendship Bridge, then south by the land route. I'm telling you it was one of the ROUGHEST roads we've ever been on in Costa Rica. Much worse than a couple of years ago when we drove up to Tamarindo that way. Slow and tedious with huge ruts, but at least we were air conditioned. We arrived in Montezuma about 1.5 hour (3:30 or so) before we would have arrived had we waited for the much later ferry.

These were unusual circumstances. But certainly I'd recommend the ferry. I realize it doesn't look like the best deal on the map. Trust me, it is! Traveling in CR, there's always more to the story than what the map shows! This is particularly true of this road. Good luck, and whatever you choose to do, it's all an adventure! Have fun!
Sep 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac - How is driving on the American highway at night?

Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:54 PM

Although most recommend not driving at night, we have done it many times. We are extremely careful as the interamerican is just another road in Costa Rica and there can be absolutely anthing and anyone walking on the sides (no shoulders). Do use caution. Condition is decent. Speed limits will keep you at about 40-45 mph and you definitely should abide by them--for many reasons! Have a great time.