Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   directions from Tamarindo to Tambor (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/directions-from-tamarindo-to-tambor-404900/)

quetzal1958 Feb 29th, 2004 06:02 AM

directions from Tamarindo to Tambor

Hi there, Can someone give me detailed driving directions from Tamarindo to Tambor? Thank you!!

costaricafinca Feb 29th, 2004 06:41 AM

I called a hotel in Tambor and this is how you should go (all car friendly):
Tamrindo - Santa Cruz - Nicoya - San Pablo - Jicaral - Gigante - Paquera - Pochote - Tambor.
Please feel free to write again, with any question.
Have a great trip!
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor

shillmac Feb 29th, 2004 08:14 AM

There is a stretch of this road that is not paved. About 25-30 km between Paquera & Naranjo, I think--or perhaps a little further north. We did this drive about 2 years ago, and it was just fine. Just bumpy for that one stretch. . .not bad at all. We were driving from Tambor to Tamarindo. As I recall, it was very close to 5 hours.

Iza Mar 1st, 2004 12:04 PM

Both Shillmac's and Neta's tips are right on, but the stretch between Paquera and Naranjo was terrible last August. My husband was convinced we took a wrong turn somewhere ;-).

Do not attemp the coastal road - there are rivers to ford and the road is virtually non-existant.

shillmac Mar 1st, 2004 04:20 PM

Ah Iza, you have answered one of my questions. My husband and I were thinking that it would be a grand adventure to take the Pacific Coastal road between Malpais and Samara in 2 weeks when we are visiting Costa Rica. I've read all about it. . .specific directions and all, but from all I hear, perhaps it would be best left unexplored! One of my Tico friends told me he thought it might be a little to "natural" for driving! Perhaps we will forego that adventure in search of another one!

quetzal1958 Mar 2nd, 2004 04:06 AM

hi there, then i take it Netas directions are correct if I understand correctly? thanks!

Iza Mar 2nd, 2004 05:51 AM

Shillmac, funny about the coastal road because we were exactly like you when planning our trip last summer. We stayed in Malpais/Santa Teresa for 4 days (highly recommended) and our next destination was Nosara. I had very high hopes of taking the coastal road from Santa Teresa to Nosara. The weather was good with hardly any rain in the last few days. We had a good car (Nissan Xterra equivalent) but my husband had his doubts about this venture. On the morning of our departure we spoke to the owner of Florblanca where we stayed (he owns another place in Tamarindo and frequently travels between the 2) and he looked at us like we were from another planet ;-) He said just between Santa Teresa and Nosara there are 3 major rivers that have to be forded and unless you have a strong 4x4 with a snorkel you should not attempt it. He also said there were no signs anywhere. To give you an example, when we were leaving Nosara we thought it would be a good idea to check Samara on our way. Instead of taking the road leading from Nosara to the turnoff from the paved road, we decided to take the road along the coast. The road was very confusing and in a bad shape and we had to cross a couple of streams and a river (we only attempted the river crossing because we saw someone else do it and we saw that it was fairly shallow). When we stopped to ask for directions, people were gaping at us ("You came from where???").

shillmac Mar 2nd, 2004 06:34 AM

Yes, quetzal1958, Neta is absolutely correct! Iza, okay! That does it for me! We'll just not do that! All the more reason to buy property somewhere in there. . .perhaps someday they will put in some roads that are passable, and the property would be worth a LOT! :) Thanks for the positive report on Malpais. . .I have thought many times since planning this location that we probably should have chosen Dominical or Manuel Antonio for our week, but we've never been east of Tambor, and it seemed like a good idea to get to know that area. We are trying to conquer this country one section at a time! We are counting the days! Thanks again!

Iza Mar 2nd, 2004 06:55 AM

Shillmac, a property on the beach in northern Santa Teresa would definitely be high on my list! Also, check out some of the beaches south of Tamarindo (we visited Avellana and Negra last summer). Very beautiful with golden sand, dark volcanic rocks and great surf.

shillmac Mar 2nd, 2004 12:45 PM

Thanks! Wish we were leaving tomorrow!