Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Directions from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio-Do you cross a bridge or take a ferry?

Search

Directions from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio-Do you cross a bridge or take a ferry?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you get from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio? Is there a bridge you go over? I can't find any information on the bridge. Anyone know the name of the bridge? Or do you take a ferry over and is cars allowed on the ferry?
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Hi Melissa,
How's the planning coming along? Are you getting excited and when do you go?!
Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio is very easy. Yes, you do take the Friendship Bridge over the Rio Tempisque. Do you have a map?
You drive to Belen, then south on Highway 21 past Santa Cruz and Nicoya. Not too far past Nicoya, you'll see a junction for Highway 18. You make a left there and travel a few km to the bridge. You'll be about an hour on Highway 18, heading east toward the Interamerican Highway. The bridge is fairly new and very nice.
At the end of Highway 18, you'll make a right on the Interamerican highway and travel on south through Puntarenas (or the edge of it) on down to Manuel Antonio. Signage is good. The route is easy.
When you come to the end of Highway 18, there is a very nice new gasolinera there on your right. Across the highway is a little soda with good bakery items and sandwiches. Right next door is a very nice restaurant if you're hungry. We've seen troops of howlers in these trees over the restaurant many times. It's a good rest stop.
The total time will be about 5 hours, more or less, depending on your stops. Be sure and make a stop south of Puntarenas at the Rio Tarcoles to view the crocodiles!
Hope this helps. . .do you need someone to carry your luggage???
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac

Thanks for the info. My book didn't have the name of the bridge. I don't have a map yet. Do you recommend a good map to get? I can't wait for the trip. We are going in beginning of August. The planning is going great. I finally decided where we are going and what hotels we are going to stay at.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM

You can get a free map from www.mapcr.com. The only disadvantage is that you have to print it out in sections but you can also order a large waterproof map from their website
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:17 PM

The best map I've seen, and one we've used for years, is the laminated Berndston & Berndston. You can get it at Barnes & Noble or, I think, order it online.

Up until about 4 years ago, there was a ferry over the Rio Tempisque. The new bridge is very interesting and many people stop there to photograph it. There is also a visitor area where you can pull over if you want.

First of August is a good time to go--especially to Guanacaste. It is beautiful then, so green. During the dry season it isn't as pretty. Still worth a visit though! Guanacaste is one of our favorite areas for many reasons. Enjoy!