Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   different place to stay in arenal area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/different-place-to-stay-in-arenal-area-471494/)

aborak Sep 1st, 2004 11:55 AM

different place to stay in arenal area?

i am going to CR just before christmas and all the good hotels are booked at arenal (lodge, observatory, paraiso, montana, tabacon, tacotal). are there any other quality hotels close enough for lava/volcano viewing? anyone ever stay at los lagos?

rbrazill Sep 1st, 2004 01:33 PM

We stayed at Los Lagos this past February and loved it. I don't understand why more people on this board don't recommend it. We stayed in one of the cabinas which was very nice. It is one of the closest hotels to the volcano. They have foot trails which lead from the hotel property right to the base of the volcano. They have two swimming pools (one is heated to about 100F by natural springs, the other has a series of waterslides) and a swim-up bar with the volcano in the background. The only minor disappointment was the restaurant which wasn't bad, but wasn't very good either.

Millie64 Sep 1st, 2004 01:53 PM

I just booked los Lagos (through arenal.net). From what I understand from postings on the forum is you should try and get the Premium Rooms. The hotel may be less popular because it's not in Frommer's. But I've spent alot of time on this forum and it's received more praise than any other hotel in Arenal area!

koa Sep 1st, 2004 07:30 PM

I also recommend Los Lagos. Get the premium rooms at the top of the hill. Awesome views of arenal and the rooms are big and clean. I thought it was way better than Tabacon which is basically an overpriced mediocre hotel with a good location.

lvk Sep 2nd, 2004 06:27 AM

Los Lagos gets good reviews on this board. I've also heard Las Lomas del Volcan mentioned favorably.

lydiaf Sep 2nd, 2004 05:58 PM

We just returned on August 26 from CR and when in Arenal we stayed at Los Lomas del Volcan. It was wonderful. The cabins are large and beautiful. We had one large bedroom with one king and one queen bed. There was also an enclosed porch with a wonderful view of the volcano. The bathroom is large and the shower had the best water pressure of any in CR. There was also a large closet with a great deal of shelf space. Breakfast is included and was great both mornings. There is also a short hiking trail. Both mornings my husband and I took a hike at sunrise and were treated to seeing a troop of howler monkeys. Steve is very helpful in advising on local activities and is willing to book whatever you need. The maid even left fresh flowers on the bed for us!

Canadian_Traveler Sep 3rd, 2004 08:47 AM

I just got a quote for Los Lagos and it looks like that's where we'll be staying thanks to so many qonderful reports. Just wondering if you think paying $18 extra for two breakfasts would be worth it. I can't help but think breakfast should be cheaper than that. Also, is there a good place to eat nearby?

Thanks!