Design Suites in Recoleta

Aug 10th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Design Suites in Recoleta

Okay, I have decided that I want to stay here-- they have quoted me rates for $90/night for junior suite and $130/night for regular suite. The price does not include 21% VAT-- do these prices sound reasonble? Will they be negotiable on the VAT? Also, any particular room to request or not request? We are leaning toward a regular suite for the extra room. Thanks!
Aug 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Hi,

Have you think about rent an apartment in downtown? I know about one apartment at 15' from Recoleta, it is at two blocks from Corrientes Av. and Callao Av. near the Obelisco. It is cheaper than a hotel and it is very nice and well equiped, decorated with a very good taste for 2 - 4 people. if you are interested I ca provide you more information and send you photos. Of course it depends on when you are coming.
If you need any other information about Buenos Aires and/or Argentina or other help please don't doubt in asking me. I will be pleased to help you.
Good luck!!!!
Daniela
Aug 12th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Penny,

A couple of things about Design Suites:

1. Book through this site and you can pay $78.65 per night, including tax for a two room suite. Stay two nights and get a free dinner.
http://www.buenosaires.com/marco_sp.htm

2. This hotel charges different rates for Argentinos than for foreigners. The rate for Argentinos for a two room suite is 169pesos or 56dollars per night.

3. The one room suites are reported to be noisy. Two room suites are reported to be quieter.

Hope this helps.
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:33 AM

hey charlotte, or er, hey penny....i was there last September and had a heck of a time finding the right price/quality combination. After ditching our first hotel mid-day, and searching for hours, we checked into the NH Jousten sight unseen (we had looked at the NH City, so we had some idea what to expect.) We paid $90/night for a 6th floor standard room. I'm not one prone to hyperbole (nor do i work for NH), but I have to say it was the PERFECT hotel experience: sophisticated, gorgeous rooms, and a helpful staff that wasn't obtrusive. They even have a cell phone in every room to which you can have all your calls forwarded. We carried the phone around for five days making and receiving numerous calls and I think it was an additional $10. I'm always amazed that no one ever mentions the NH chain when talking about BsAs. Sure you can get better prices at hundreds of hotels, but you won't get a better value. It's $90/night wisely spent. The Jousten was fantastic.

This being said, I would never stay outside of Palermo Viejo on any subsequent visit.

Jon

p.s. don't think of having laundry done at an NH hotel though. the prices are through the roof. we found a laundromat down the street and paid pennies.
Aug 12th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Drdawggy, Our friends stayed at design suites and loved the location-- I have been in touch with Cintia and she says she has received lots of negative feedback from clients re: the noise. Have you stayed there or had friends stay there? Having heard our friends' review of the hotel, we were really looking forward to staying there, but I am having second doubts-- is the location good-- I was under the impression that it is close to a lot, including 2 subway lines, but not right in the middle of too much craziness-- is that a fair assessment?
Another reason it is particularly appealing is the 2-room suites-- we will be there for over a week and want to have space to spread out a bit. Your thoughts? Or the thoughts of someone who has stayed there?
Aug 12th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Oops, forgot on my last post, how is Argenta Towers-- there seem to be a lot of Fodorites happy about it-- it just seems to be in a more touristy location than Design Suites. And the 2-room suites appear to be more expensive than Design suites
Aug 12th, 2004, 02:53 PM

I have not stayed in Design Suites, but I have known a lot of folks who have and I have visited more than one friend in the hotel.

The ones who are happy with the place rented the two room suites. The jr. Suites have too many suites per floor and thin walls. Design is on Marcelo t DeAlvear, just one block from Santa Fe shopping. the subway is close by. Marcelo T. is a busy street, so if you stay there try to get a room that does not overlook the street or is on an upper floor. Your friends are right that it is not far from lots of great restaurants, etc.

Have you looked at Artsuites? They have two room and two bedroom apartments and the place gets rave reviews. I have stayed there numerous times. Helpful staff and tastefully decorated rooms.
www.artsuites.com.ar ArtSuites is on Azcuenaga not far from Recoleta Village and Santa fe...a very good location and not as busy a street as Marcelo T.

Argenta Tower is a nice hotel.It is located closer to downtown, but I would not call it a touristy location. NOt far from Plaza San Martin. Great looking rooms and a fantastic breakfast.

I agree with the poster who said the NH Hotels, especially the City and Jouston, are great options for the money. But I don't think they offer two room suites. And the location is very downtown, not far from Plaza de Mayo.

Hope this helps!

Aug 13th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Drdawggy,
you are the best! If you'll recall, I did check out artsuites (I thought it was my number one choice), and got an awesome rate there, but it strikes me as more like just an apt. bldg.-- Is there a front desk if you need help with something or need advice on meals, etc. Also, they indicated b-fast is included-- is it good? and where is it served? Do they have a cafe? Their website does not show pics of a lobby or cafe or anything so this is where I get the impression it is more like an apt. bldg. My hubby and I are 31 and 32 and do not need lots of pampering, but if we do need advice, is someone on-site and available? Thanks!!
Aug 13th, 2004, 09:25 AM

About Artsuites. Artsuites is more like an apartment building than a hotel....but with some definite hotel features:
There is an office that is staffed during the day. The three women who run Artsuites are very knowledgeable and extremly helpful...they can help with anything from restaurants to Tango Shows to where to shop for jeans. If you stay a week, you will leave feeling like they are your friends.

I don't recall exactly what time they leave in the evening, but I think the office is open until 7 or 8 PM. There is a security guard at the front desk after the office closes.

Breakfast is served in your apartment. It is a simple Argentine breakfast of medialunes (or toast), juice and coffee or tea. There is no restaurant on premises.
Also, unlike an apartment complex
there is daily maid service. I like the feeling that I am actually living in Buenos Aires, but I suppose it is not for everyone....But if you don't need a lot of pampering but still like the idea of someone being around to answer questions, this might be a good solution for you.

Hope this helps.