Depth of water at Cozumel Palace?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's that for a specific question? We're considering the Palace for a winter snorkel getaway. My husband is the less confident swimmer of the couple, and just wonders how deep the water is right out front of the hotel. (I've tried and tried to explain that if it's deep enough to cover his nose, it doesn't matter if it's 200 feet deeper, but he doesn't "get" it...) Thanks for any input. Cheers, S
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I think Cozumel Palace is next to El Cantil Condo's which is across from Chedraui where we stayed before the Hurricane. The water right off the deck was about 15 - 20 feet. But at El Cantil we had a place to walk into the water. You might be able to look up El Cantil and see pictures of the way into the water. It was real easy to get in and out. I think Cozumel Palace has an easy stairway into the water. That is a nice location, close enough to walk into town if its the one I am thinking of. It used to be called something else.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:49 AM
TC

Silver, Tell your husband to do one of two things: either (1) rent a wet suit to wear while snorkeling (this is the cooler looking of the two options) or (2) buy a water ski belt to take along. I wasn't a confident swimmer for the first (oh...) 10 years we wintered in Cozumel and I had a ski belt. It packs pretty easy. Because it doesn't go around your neck - rather around your waist, its much easier to snorkel in than the standard infatable life vests you typically get. Then a few years ago I got tired of freezing in the water while snorkeling and bought a shorty wetsuit. The thing is....this gives you so much bouncy in the salt water that it is impossible to go under. I have used my wet suit all over the world now and got so confident swimming with it, that I've now been able to snorkel without it and feel quite comfortable. My body finally got used to the feeling of being in the water and relaxed enough for me to really swim. Tell your husband that having fins is a big plus too.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the hard information, and the kind suggestions. He has tried to snorkel in a vest in the past, if the current is quite strong, but it's not a very satisfactory solution. So maybe we'll take a look at a belt for him. Thanks very much again, S
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:55 AM
TC

"He has tried to snorkel in a vest in the past, if the current is quite strong, but it's not a very satisfactory solution"

I think he will like the water skiers belt so much more. Below is a link to one just like I used for many, many years. Fasten the belt in front and then turn it so the buckle is in the back and the widest part under your tummy for max bouancy. It is also very important to have fins. You really can't negotiate the water and currents without them. With these items, I have even snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and tell your husband, it was WAY over my head! Good luck! TC

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/477080170.htm