Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Delivery of rental car to hotel - How does that work? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/delivery-of-rental-car-to-hotel-how-does-that-work-682449/)

haydencat Feb 23rd, 2007 02:37 PM

Delivery of rental car to hotel - How does that work?

I've read that certain car rental companies will deliver a rental car to your hotel in San Jose (e.g. Mapache). This sounds like a convenient option for us, but how exactly does it work? Is it truly a one-stop deal, or does the rental company just pick you up at the hotel and take you to their rental counter to fill out the forms? Has anyone done this before? We're staying at the San Jose Marriott, if that makes a difference, and we'll be dropping the car back off at SJO.

Earthtraveler Feb 24th, 2007 01:52 PM

A Toyota agent came to our hotel, Pura Vida in Alajuela, with the papers and auto. We filled out the papers and took a look at the vehicle and someone came to pick up the agent.
Two tires had balding edges which I didn't like but I wanted to get going instead of taking more time. They were unnerving throughout the trip but managed to get us over some very rough roads with out a flat.
When we returned to Alajuela another agent picked it up at the same hotel after we went through the return process.
After we got home we recieved a bill for 1/8 tank of gas at a bad rate. Emailed Toyota and they said the tank was low when they recieved it. We had filled it prior to pick up from the agent.
After those hassles I just go to the office. Last time they drove us to our hotel when we were done with the return at no charge for the ride, which was great.

The hassles we experienced may be a rarity but it changed my opinion about rental drop offs at my hotel.

MonicaRichards Feb 24th, 2007 02:10 PM

We had a car delivered to Xandari. Waited and waited in the morning and the guy didn't show. Finally we got hold of the agency and they'd forgotten about us. Got a car about an hour later, it was fine in good condition. On the return, the rental agency said they'd pick the car up at our hotel. We went on a tour to Mawamba and came back three days later and our rental was still parked in the same place at the hotel! Many calls later and two days after we left they came and got the car. We were never charged for the extra days. So yes, it saved us some time, but no, it's probably not that reliable. I'd probably do it again that way though, with how early the flights leave San Jose it beats getting to the rental car agency.

haydencat Feb 26th, 2007 02:22 PM

Hm. Sounds like it we should just take a taxi to the car rental office. That way we won't be stuck with a possibly unacceptable car upon delivery. I'm glad I asked -- thanks for the info!

cmerrell Feb 26th, 2007 06:18 PM

Hi haydencat,

We rented from Europcar in December and they had a shuttle van pick us up at the airport. We had to drop the car off back at their office on our final day in the country, and the shuttle delivered us back to the airport for our flight home. I'm sure other companies must also offer this service.

glover Feb 27th, 2007 06:44 PM

A good experience to report here - we had Adobe deliver a rental car to us at Le Bergerac hotel the morning after we arrived in CR. They brought the car to us on time, we did the paperwork (that always takes awhile) in the hotel lobby and we were on our way. They also picked the car up from the hotel a week later. No problems. Perhaps the fact that the hotel arranged the rental aided the experience, I don't really know. But I believe others on this board have had positive experiences with this as well. Many recommend renting from Tricolor.

swim Feb 28th, 2007 07:56 AM

we just returned yesterday from CR, we rent cars regularly from Tricolor, they give you the best price if you order it ahead on line. Just contact them.