Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Dec, Feb or April - When to take the family to CR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-
We got this wild idea a couple of weeks ago to take the kids to CR for Spring Break this year (mid-April). Unfortunately, some of the hotels that we were really interested in weren't available for the dates we needed. So, we have decided to take a little more time in our planning and go during the next school year.

At this point, we are interested in Arenal, MA, and Monteverde. We plan to be in CR for 9 days, not including our travel days. We're not sure when the best time to go to CR would be.

Here's what we need help with. Our kids (8 and 10) have school breaks during Christmas/New Years, mid-February and mid-April. Initially I was thinking April, but I'm worried it would be too hot. We live in Seattle, what can I say!

I'd appreciate any of your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Hi, It's really no hotter in April than it is in Feb. The temperatures stay pretty constant, it just gets rainy from May - Nov. As long as you're planning ahead you can go at any of those times. Spring break and Christmas draw a lot of crowds, but it's not like going to Disney World where you'll be. The beaches are more crowded at those times. I might pick the Feb. break if I were you. It's still high season, and you'll need to make reservations well ahead to get the hotels that you want. I guarantee you'll have a great time.
Sandy
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Hi Issy,

Feb and April are about the same. Feb may be better because the foilage hasn't yet dried out. It really gets dry by April. Brush fires break out everywhere...

Definitely stay at Arenal for 2 nights. Tabacon is best, but The Observatory lodge is also great.

Try to get to Manuel Antonio. The National Park is unforgettable and the kids will go nuts with all the animals!

Buen Suerte,
Clark
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess we'll pass on our annual ski trip in February for a journey to Costa Rica instead!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM

To clarify Clark's post, the brush fires and dry foilage are West Coast things. From the Central Valley (including Arenal, Monteverde, etc.) to the east coast it stays green year round.

Sandy
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

I agree with Clark. Tabacon if you can get it. Either time. Our back up was Los Lagos. Less nice but my friends kids enjoyed staying there.

At MA my 3 kids loved Tulemar bungalows. There was so much wildlife on the extensive property that the park was beautiful but not as exciting because they saw most animals at Tulemar every day. We actually began knowing faces of the white faced monkeys and named them. There are certain bungalows that see mofre monkeys than others.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Wherenext-

Thanks for the tip for the Tulemar. I went to their website, and it looks spectacular. Some posters at Trip Advisor referred to the Tulemar Villas, and others referred to them as Tulemar Bungalows. Are these one in the same? If they are different, which one is newer?

We were originally thinking of Si Como No for MA, but you've got me thinking now......

Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM

The kids would be happy at Si Como No , my kids liked visiting there and playing on the waterslide. It is crowded and a bit chaotic. A couple of kids got hurt on the slide. There were no rules. And it was hard to find a place to sit.

Tulemar is not at all crowded. Tulemar Villas are newer and higher end decor. Granite countertops, etc... They are beautiful, however, make sure that there is direct access to the downstairs from inside your villa. They were going to make adjustments to that when we were there. You had to go outside to get to the kids room downstairs and I was not comfortable with that. They have nice balconies that the bungalows don't have.

The bungalows are older . They are clean but not fancy. They look exactly like the pictures. We were very happy there. I think we were in 119.

I think it is the nicest property in the area.
Another property that I liked was the Mariposa. No beach access. The view was great and it had a good feel. Easy to get to restaurants from there.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the valuable input.