Dear Mr Dude, or anyone who knows about Mexico City

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Mr Dude, or anyone who knows about Mexico City

While traveling elsewhere in Mexico, we have to fly out of Mexico City.
We are thinking of leaving early in order to spend a full day in Mex City and see the pyramids.
Would one day be enough? We would either take a tour or hire a car, haven't gotten that far in the plan yet.
Thanks! Kate
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 10:12 AM

A full day would give you plenty of time to go out to Teotihuacan. In fact, the time I did it, we left on a long day trip from Cuernavaca. As far as getting there, we arrived at Tasquena bus terminal then took the metro to the indios verdes stop, then a bus out to the pyramids. We repeated the process on the way back stopping at la villa stop to visit la basilica de guadalupe. So- the answer is yes. If you don't want to do it on your own, I'm sure your hotel can get you a driver. Also, when in Mexico City I also see constant ads for the grey line which will bus people from their hotel to Teotihuacan on a tour. I think you would enjoy going out there. I have always skipped the tours, but Spanish is a must and, in Mexico City seurity is an issue. Maybe someone who has been on a tour can tell you more- have fun!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Kate, are you saying that you're thinking of 1 day to both see Mexico City and the pyramids? That would be very ambitious. The city is huge and there's loads to see there. We've been more than once and I still have more to see.

We found it very easy to go to the pyramids when we stayed in Mexico City. We didn't take a tour. We took a bus from Terminal Norte right to the site and caught the bus back at the end of the day. It was a terrific day, but make sure you wear a hat - there is very little shade. It was also exhausting! Lots of walking and climbing. I was exhausted by the end of the day.

Are you saying that you're thinking of 1 day to both see Mexico City and the pyramids?
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi
Thank you so much Dude and Susan
No we are not going to SEE Mexico City, just have to be there to fly out. So since we will be there, why not spend a day or half a day looking at pyramids?
I will do more research with this info you have given me, and see what we can come up with.
Thanks so much! Kate
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:32 AM

I suggest staying in a hotel in the central Historical district. This will give you an opportunity to walk around this neighborhood's excavated Aztec temples. These excavations are located next to Mexico City's Zocolo (main square). Try to also visit the small museum next to the excavations. Most of the items found at these excavations are now in this museum.

From Terminal Norte, it is an hour bus ride to Teotihuacan. Unless you plan to be climbing the pyramids, a half-day is enough time to walk around this amazing site. It gets very hot there, so after about 3 hours I was too exhausted to spend more time visiting the place.

If you can possibly fit in another day, I also recommend a visit to the Arthropology Museum in Mexico City. This is the world's largest museum of pre-Columbian art (Mayan, Aztec, etc.), and has a huge number of incredible artefacts. Many people come to Mexico City just to visit this museum.
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Joyce,
Could you add to your helpful message? I will be stopping over in Mexico City en route , either back from or going to San Miguel de Allende. Do you have a hotel you recommend in the historic district? And what are your thoughts on a female solo traveller who doesn't speak much Spanish getting around for a day or two? I'm pretty seasoned traveller in my 40's. thanks
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:21 PM

Hi
I will also be in Mexico City coming back from San Miguel. This is all very interesting
tbilisi, how are you getting back and forth to SMA from MexCity?
Thank you~
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:58 AM

I didn't stay in the Historic District during my visit (wish I did), so I cannot make hotel recommendations from personal experience. Hotels in the Historic District that are supposed to be nice include Hotel Catedral, Hotel de Cortés, and Gran Hotel.

I stayed in the Business District, which is where most of the city's hotels are located. The hotel I stayed in was very nice (Hotel Casa Blanca), but the neighborhood was a little inconvenient for seeing the sights.

I am a single middle-aged woman and traveled solo with no problems. I do speak a little Spanish. This was extremely helpful. With the exception of hotel staff, I did not hear any English during my trip. Most tourists to Mexico City are Europeans. I did not see a single American during the week I stayed there.

Some safety advice: Do not walk around alone after dark. Also, if you need a taxi, get one from a Sitio (CTO). Do not hail a cab that happens to be driving by. When you enter the cab, roll up the windows, and make sure the doors are locked from the inside. If the door lock is broken, leave the cab immediately.

While you are in town, try to see the Ballet Folklórico (a folk dancing show). This was one of the highlights of my visit to Mexico City. When I was there, this show was performed on Wednesday nights and Sunday afternoons. Your hotel will be able to give you specifics.

I forgot to mention in my previous note: the Anthropology Museum was closed Mondays. I do not know if this is still the case.
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:12 AM

One more safety tip: Be very careful crossing the street. In Mexico City people drive like maniacs. I have spent all my life in big cities (grew up in New York City), but never before saw such out-of-control driving.

If you have a choice between taking a taxi, pesero (small bus), or regular bus, always take the regular bus. There will be more steel around your body, protecting you from the crazy drivers.

The traffic situation was the only bad part of my trip. Otherwise Mexico City is an amazing place to visit.
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:20 PM

I like the Hotel Catedral in the historic district. I think the Gillow might be similar - if you check them out on their website, the 2 hotels are linked. The Catedral is right behind the big Catedral on the zocalo. We found it quiet, clean, reasonably priced. We booked it over the internet. The desk staff speak English. It seems popular with Mexicans as well as tourists from outside of Mexico.

Re safety - just keep your wits about you - I'm always careful when I travel, and certainly aware of my surroundings. I really enjoy Mexico City - lots to see and do there.