RIO CELESTE AT THE TENORIO VOLCANO DO NOT MISS THIS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a magical weekend at the Carolina Lodge.. Stayed in the private cabin on the river... We hiked the Rio Celeste twice about 3-4 hours each time... You can do a much shorter hike just to the waterfall if you prefer... At many vista points you can see 4 volcanos and lake Nicaragua.. The Carolina Lodge offers all 3 meals and horseback riding and fishing for free..... This is a great rustic place to explore the Volcanos.. The river water at Rio Celeste is pure sky blue with many hot springs along the hike.. This river is where god washes his paint brushes after painting the sky.. Pure BLISS...
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM

Thanks, bfish, it's been on my list for future trips for a while now. My Tica amiga said it's her favorite place in Costa Rica! Do you have any photos to share of La Carolina and of the river?
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM

Thanks bfish. It's still on my list as well. Moving higher up all the time! Definitely will go next visit to Arenal. I think my daughter would love it too.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM

I think I've heard shillmac mention it - isn't that the place with the great natural hot tub?
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM

Yep, it is. Now I'M wanting to go back--great review of a special place, bfish. I loved the way the ladies would go around and light the "evening" candles. . .around the property and in the cabins. TELL ME they haven't installed electricity--as that would take away so much of the ambience of the place!

La Carolina is a good stopover (coupla nights) between Arenal and Guanacaste beaches--or just as an add-on to an Arenal stay.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Yes they still walk around at dusk and light all the candles. It is so magical.. La Carolina is pura vida for sure.. And for the Rio Celeste it is so natural and under explored.. I live in Flamingo CR for 7 years. I cant believe I waited this long to go. I have been to the Arenal Voncano 30+_ times... This Rio Celeste is for real sky blue flowing water with hot springs.. Get a guide and do the long feel good hike... Good luck...
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM

We're in Flamigno every year. We should meet up sometime. We love it there, too. But La Carolina is, as you say, very special. Alejandro still there? What a great guy!