Daytrips from Mexico City other than the pyramids

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Kev

Daytrips from Mexico City other than the pyramids

Hi! I'm planning on going to the pyramids while staying in Mexico City, however, am wondering what else I might do that is nearby for a daytrip if I get tired of staying in the hectic city.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 02:46 PM
Jean Valjean

Try Puebla, about 90 kms. east of Mexico City. Getting there can take some time, depending on traffic. It is a very nice city with lots of colonial buildings and one of the most impressive barroque chapels I've seen (Capilla del Rosario)

You could also try Queretaro, 200 kms. north. It was one of the most important cities in Colonial Mexico. Lots of architecture, a couple of nice museums and very good restaurants (at least those at the Plaza de Armas).

A lot of people like Cuernavaca, 1 hour south on the way to Acapulco. Haven't been there myself.

However, Mexico City has so much to offer that the only reason to get out of it is the one you mentioned. It is an extremely hectic place, traffic can be an absolute nightmare, you have to be very alert at all times, you can't take taxis from the streets (always call ahead). But it is a city that really rewards those that see through its problems.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:44 PM
Susan

We have a few days booked in Mexico City in March. Has anyone been to Xochimilco? Is it worth a visit? We do plan to visit the pyramids, also want to see the archeological museum and the Frida Kahlo museum. But given our limited time (really only 3 full days, plus most of 1 day), we want to plan ahead. We've spent a bit of time in Mexico City before, so have seen the zocalo, the cathedral and some of the other sites.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 07:46 PM
Jennifer

I went to the floating gardens and they were fabulous. A group of us rented a boat and had lunch onboard. I've also stayed in Cuernavaca and had a wonderful time. It's so gorgeous when the flowers are in bloom. Also, try Taxco (great silver) or Tepotzlan for some great shopping.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Susan

Thanks for the reply, Jennifer.