Day Trips & Transfers from Akumal

Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips & Transfers from Akumal

Based on recommendations from other posters here on Fodors, we are planning a trip to Akumal, Mexico, in early March. We'll be staying at the Akumal Beach Resort because the main purpose of our trip is snorkeling. However, with that said, from doing a little research on Locogringo and other websites, it's clear that there is a lot to see and do in that region. For example, there seem to be a lot of "ecoparks" out there. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which is the best? I think we'd probably like to check out some cenotes - animals or ruins would also be nice. Zip lines and other more "adventurous" activities probably aren't as much our thing. We'd also like to see some ruins. We were thinking Tulum definitely looked like a must, but there were some others in the area that looked good. Chichen Itza looked a little far? Any thoughts on this? In addition, a little souvenir shopping might be fun - where would the best place be to do this from Akumal?

Further, we're wondering about transfers from our hotel to these places. We weren't planning on renting a car since we're planning on doing so much snorkelig. I've seen posts on here regarding "collectives" or "collectivos" as well as taxis. Are the collectives difficult to catch/take where you need to go? How about if you don't speak much Spanish? It looks like we could probably arrange trips through the hotel, but I'm guessing that will be a lot more expensive. Any thoughts from those of you who have been there/done that would be great. Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM

Colectivos run up and down the highway all day long. They are the primary source for local transport but anyone can use them. Relatively inexpensive. To catch a colectivo walk out to the highway and stand on the side of the road in the direction you wish to travel. Do not run across the highway if at all possible. Go over the bridge. Although at ABR that may not be a possibility. When you see a white van approach and flash it's lights flag it down and get on quickly. Tell the driver you wish to go to Tulum ruinas (Tulum ruins) or Tulum puebla (Tulum town). You pay when you get off. It should be around 30 pesos per person. The colectivos line up at the ruins for the trip back or you can go out to the highway and flag one down if you don't want to wait for the van to fill up. Pay in pesos.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:19 AM

We've enjoyed that area twice in the last 6 months and you can see the details in the photos, blogs, and travelogues here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

In addition to snorkeling with turtles at Akumal both trips, there is information about snorkeling cenotes and other locations, visiting the ruins of Chichén Itzá (though we didn't love it), Ek Balám, Tulúm, and Cobá, and visiting the Jungle Place spider monkey sanctuary (a highlight). We also loved snorkeling with whale sharks off Isla Mujeres but you'll have to save that for another trip. Happy trails!
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM

I've used USA Transfers twice with good results in 2009 and 2010 including my trip to ABR in 2009 (I did rent a car there for one day to drive down to Sian Kaan as there is next to no public transport). They are very good, speak good English and drive safely. If you want they will make a quick stop at the 7-11 or OXXO for beer or cervesa ( it is polite to offer to buy the driver a drink). I tipped the driver $10 each way and $2 to the guy who loads your bags.

There are some cute shops right down the beach north in Akumal Playa, Mexicarte and Galleria Lamanai both have nice, non-junkky stuff and there are some other shops over near the Super Chomak mini-mart.

Be sure and get some shrimp tacos and homemade ice cream at Lucy's behind El Pueblito market.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
RAC

http://www.edventuretours.com.mx/home/faq.htm

Edventures can hook you up with cenotes, Tulum, etc. We did a tour with them that included snorkeling at Yal-Ku lagoon, Akumal bay, and the Dos Ojos cenotes, plus a trip to The Jungle Place, a sanctuary for rescued spider monkeys. We highly recommend them.

Also in the general area and worth seeing are Xcaret and Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza is not very close, but still a must see.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM

We thoroughly enjoyed Xcaret! I would recommend the two day pass (great value and there is a lot to see) and spring for the dinner with the evening show. If you reserve a table in the morning for that night's show, you will have a table with a view of the show that is spectacular without lining up for a bleacher seat in advance. The food was pretty good too, full 3 course meal with a glass of wine, if I recall - it worth every penny.

To avoid crowds, go first thing in the morning, head back to Akumal for lunch, some relaxing time (we did just this) and then had back for the show at night. Use the 2nd day of your ticket another time during your vacation - you'll want to.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM

Also, we found the Coba ruins far more interesting that Tulum (we didn't go to Chichen Itza, felt it was too far). At Coba, you are really able to explore and climb on the ruins, which are not allowed elsewhere. Also, the jungle setting was beautiful. We hired a guide who pedaled us around and pointed things out, told stories, etc. Well worth the money.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM

Chichén Itzá is my least favorite of more than a dozen maya ruins I've visited in 4 countries. Tulum is easy and has a great setting but the ruins aren't all that and you can't climb about. Cobá has a great setting and a pyramid nearly twice as tall as the big one at Chichén Itzá that you can climb.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM

My family recently went to XPLOR and LOVED it! There were zip lines, cenotes, caves, ATVs, etc. The park was all-inclusive and included lunch and non-alcoholic beverages.

Akumal is one of our favorite places on earth Snorkel with the turtles in the bay and be sure to go to the lagoon - it is like snorkeling in an aquarium.

We went to Tulum & that was neat (if you are into ruins). The view from the top of the cliffs overlooking the ocean was worth it to me

We went to Xel-Ha, but to be honest, the family enjoyed XPLOR over Xel-Ha, but it is really personal preference. Enjoy your visit!!
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great recommendations!
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:06 PM

We just returned from Riviera Maya.
To go to Coba with caught a collectivo to Tulum bus station (not ruins) and got a local bus to the ruins. ($6 total pp, they take US or pesos) On the return trip we decided not to wait for the next bus and got a taxi to Tulum ($30.00) and then the collectivo.(our resort would charge us $150.00 for the same transportation.)
In Coba we hired a guide just INSIDE the site at $25.00 for an hour tour for the 4 of us. After the tour we walked to the main temple for the climb up. We were going to rent bicycles for the site and definitely wished we had. There are lots of ruins to explore other than the main 4.
Our shuttle driver from the airport (USA transfers $130 rt) recommended Dos Ojos for a cenote trip. We chose one near our hotel, Jardin Del Eden. ($5) It was funfor a swim, but not much for snorkeling.
I would recommend Tulum and Coba for good Mayan ruins and try at least one cenote.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Great advice all!! Another question based on what I'm seeing here. Should I exchange dollars for pesos prior to leaving the U.S.? Or, should I just rely upon the resort I'm staying at? If it's a good idea to take pesos with us, what is a good amount of pesos to take for 2 people for a week down there (keep in mind, we're staying at an AI resort) and will just be spending money on side trips, a few souvenirs, transportation, etc.? In addition, does anyone have any recommendations for companies to use for transfer between the Cancun aiport and Akumal?
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 05:19 AM

IF I recall, there are two ATMs in Akumal (right across the street from one another, in two little convenience type stores.)
You can also use an ATM in the airport when you get arrive.

Oh, and you mentioned cenotes...if you end up going to Coba, stop by Choo-Ha Cenote, which is nearby (they sell tickets at Coba). It's uncrowded and a sink hole type cenote that is otherworldy (Google it, you'll find pics and video).
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 07:06 AM

We used USA Transfers for our airport transfer. $135 RT for 4 people to our hotel about half way between Playa and Akumal. They were outside of the airport doors, English speaking driver, air conditioned, and exactly on time for our return trip.

Hint: We were warned not to talk to any solicitors inside the airport, but the guy that came up to us seemed to be working for the taxi transports. He wasn't. He sent us to a desk nearby for the "talk". For your transport just keep walking to the outside. You don't need to talk to ANYONE inside unless you are actually interested in timeshare deals. (The "deal" they offered us was for $50pp you could go on any/all of the tours on their list. The choices included Chichen Itza and Xplor. It would have been a good deal if you had a lot of time for tours and didn't mind spending 1 2/2 hours on a time share pitch.)
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Great advice by rpowell! I was skeptical after all I read about these solicitors, but it was all true - you WILL be approached by many people who try to "help" you. Just follow the instructions of whomever you choose to pick you up.

Have you considered renting a car? We were apprehensive about it but were so glad we did! Driving and navigating the Riviera Maya is very easy and we loved the freedom of having the car. It also gave us the opportunity to stop at interesting places for lunch, shopping, etc. We used Easyway and they were excellent! Picked us up at the airport and had us in a car in minutes.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM

We rarely rent cars on our trips but have enjoyed exploring that part of the world with one - so easy to get to ruins, cenotes, monkey places, snorkeling, etc. After Christmas we booked online through Hotwire for a Hertz rental at ~$20/day - they shuttled us from the airport to their office and had us in a nice little car in 15 or 20 minutes.