Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

day trip in san jose (not la paz ?) - is braulio carrillo safe ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all your advice, I now have a fair idea of what I will be doing on days 1-9 and day 11 of my trip.

Still looking for suggestions for a good day trip around San Jose on day 10. I will have the full day available. I will have been to Osa, Monteverde, Arenal already. On day 9, I plan to stop at La Paz on the way from Arenal to SJ. Flight out is 2.30pm on day 11. I will have a car. And I have absolutely no interest in going into the city (zero, zip, nada).

So - what's a good thing to do on day 10 ? Drive east and hike in Braulio Carrillo ? This was my original plan, but Frommer's 2007 page 86 says its not safe ("several robberies and attacks against visitors reported on trails leading into the park from the highway&quot. What do Fodorites think - is this national park unsafe ? I will have family with me including kids 12 & 9, and do not want to take any chances (especially on my last day there...).

If Braulio Carrillo is not safe, any other suggestions for nice outdoorsy days trips ? What about the Aerial Tram or La Selva - are those safe & will those make good day trips ?

Or should I just plonk down another $1800, transfer from Arenal to Tortuguero on day 9 somehow, stay there for 2 nights, and fly back to SJ on day 11 (and then just stay at the airport till my international flight ??)

Hmmm - and I thought I was done planning except for booking hotel in SJ. Suggestions ???

Sunil
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 03:42 AM

What about doing one of the all0in-one tours? There are a couple available, Ecoscape has one. The Ecoscape one goes to a coffee plantation for breakfast, Poas volcano, stops (outside) to see the La Paz waterfall, stops at a small place for a snack & view of hummingbirds, lunch at Selva Verde lodge and then a boat tour on the Sarapiqui river. Think it runs about $80pp.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM

What about heading over to Sarchi, Grecia and Zarcero? I have not actually been to this area myself, but I'm looking into it for my next trip as we will also have an extra day in the Central Valley.

Sarchi is known for its local crafts, Grecia has a well-known, metal church and a popular nearby attraction 'World of Snakes'. Zarcero has some nice topiary gardens. All three towns are supposed to be set in very pretty countryside and make a pleasant route for sort of meandering and stopping at whatever sights catch your interest. There is also the Los Chorros waterfall in the vicinity that's supposed to be nice.

Tully's all-in-one tour suggestion would be a nice option as well.

Los Chorros waterfalls
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Have absolutely no idea why my previous post says 'Los Chorros waterfalls' at the bottom! Long day at work, perhaps...
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM

If you do go to Grecia, go to the central market not far from the park & church. They sell the best coffee there for like $2 a bag - pack it right in front of you!
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:20 PM

You have a great trip planned, and if I were you, instead of taking another tour, I'd spend the last day at Vista del Valle, in the coffee plantation area between La Paz and the airport. If you feel like it, (and I think it might sound perfect after your trip), you and your kids can just relax there and drink in the last of the atmosphere of Costa Rica and enjoy their grounds, good food, horses and pool, or if you want to see more, talk to Brooke at the front desk, and she can steer you to visiting Sarchi and Grecia, or maybe Zoo Ave, or whatever else sounds good to you. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips - I will check out Sarchi etc, and maybe also think about doing something low-key & relaxing on the last day, instead of a hectic trip.

Vista del Valle sounds great, but on their website they have a 3-day mn for Dec 15 - Jan 10, so it may not work for me. I will still call them & see, thanks for the tip. Peace Lodge is sold out by the way (I leave CR Jan 5, earliest availability in Peace Lodge is Jan 6 as of yesterday). I will also try Orquideas Inn, since I see so many recommendations for it on this site. And I guess I will have to reserach rental cars next, once I get the hotel booked for this last leg...

Sunil