Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge

Has anyone stayed at the Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge in San Gerardo de Dota? If so, please let me know if you liked it. I think it's a newer property. We're looking for something in the area for July. 2 adults, a 3 year old and a baby.

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM

I just checked them out last week. I'll make it all the way to San Gerardo de Rivas for the trek up Cerro Chirripo, so I won't stay there, but from my limited experience, they were friendly and timely in response to my reservation inquiry. Their bungalows seem nice, but like I said, I only inquired.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM

It's been there for a couple of years. Nice looking property. We stopped there when it was just getting ready to open and went through the gift shop. If I'm not mistaken, the man who owned it was drowned a few months later when he tried to save some children in the river. It was a horrible tragedy for the area.

Further down in the valley, actually in San Gerardo de Dota, is Trogon Lodge and Hotel Savegre de la Montanas. We especially love Savegre, the location, the birding, the walking, the hummingbird gallery, the junior suites, and that is what I would recommend, not because it is necessarily better (I don't know that), but because I like the location better.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

We stayed there in our trip last summer and loved it. It was a beautiful location. Pretty cool though... needed long sleeves.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM

We planned a night and ended up staying for three. The views are spectacular and the surrounding forest is primary with great trails. It's not particularly new, but it is well made and well maintained.

It's one of the few places we've spotted quetzals without a guide.

It's amazingly different than the two recommended by shillmac because even though they are only a few km apart Dantica is much higher and cooler in a completely distinct ecozone.

Wherever you stay be sure to stop in at the bakery (there's only one, you can't miss it) and take the trail along the Savegre to the waterfalls. It starts just above where the road dead ends at the bottom of the valley.