Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

daily attire in mexico city and san miguel de allende

Old May 9th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand from all i have read, that mex city is more "formal" w/no shorts and no worn jeans, etc. is san miguel the same way? what are suggestions for both?
Old May 9th, 2018, 03:36 PM

What month is your trip (as far as the weather in each place)?
Old May 9th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

we are leaving this friday for mexico city for 4 days and then on to san miguel for 4 days
Old May 9th, 2018, 04:47 PM

People in Mexico City do not wear shorts. Dress is casual, jeans and sport shirts for men, slacks and blouses or dresses for women. Surf on Youtube for videos about different sights in Mexico City and you can observe the people on the street and check out what they wear (this is handy for San Miguel also; I have not been there for years but it was pretty casual when I visited). Here's an interesting video on the historical center, the "centro", of Mexico City and you can check out what people are wearing--the street scenes start about 1:45 minutes into the video...

If you are going to a nice restaurant or bar in Mexico City, especially in trendy districts like Condesa, you might dress a bit snazzier.
Old May 9th, 2018, 04:48 PM

Don't know why there's a big space toward the end of my post??
Old May 9th, 2018, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Google Street view probably gives a better representation of what people wear rather than that video. And I'm assuming you're a female, because no man would ask that question. Generally, wear what's comfortable. If you're going to Teotihuacan, or Xochimilco, or Chapultepec, shorts would acceptable. Age makes a difference. Stretchy mallas are popular, though many women shouldn't wear them. Fashionable chilangas often wear stretch/skinny jeans and boots. Shorts just aren't very practical for women in CDMX because it's often quite cool, and public transportation can tend to be dirty.
In San Miguel, pretty much anything goes. Female Mexican tourists dress to impress. Foreigners run the gamut from old hippie to Eddie Bauer catalog model to how they dress back home.
As far as the weather goes, generally May is the hottest month here. But it's been unseasonably cool this month, so something to keep an eye on.
Don't fret about being taken for a tourist, because you will be no matter what you wear.

Last edited by Moderator1; May 11th, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old May 10th, 2018, 08:59 AM

I second Baldone's reply. Mexico City is comparable to european cities or any somewhat sophisticated city in terms of dress. Taking the dog out around the block and grabbing a coffee from the cafe down the street? Sure, throw on some shorts. Going out for a proper social activity or shopping? They don't really do shorts so much. But like any tourist city you'll probably find some tourists in shorts/flip flops. San Miguel is more laid back with more leisure attire.

Wear what you're comfortable in. You might need to have shoulders/knees covered in some churches though.
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:07 AM

badone- As you well know I have never been to Mexico City. That's why I did not give any advice about what she/he should wear there. But when people ask about clothing options, you need to know the season to be able to answer them.

Only because the OP gave clarification in reply to my post were YOU then able to helpfully say: generally May is the hottest month here. But it's been unseasonably cool
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:35 PM

Regarding being taken for a tourist or not - my husband and I were in Merida a few years ago, and while siting on a park bench in the shade, we struck up a conversation with a guy sitting on the same bench having his lunch. My husband is Mexican-American and was dressed normally - I don't remember what he was wearing, but it was in line with what other men in the park were wearing. The guy asked where we were from, then asked what part of Mexico my husband's family come from. The guy told my husband that yeah he looks like a Mexican, but he knew he was American because of his shoes So even if you blend, you don't really blend. But I do think it is important to dress appropriately anyway - everybody will know you are a foreigner, but there is no need to look like a hick who hitched a ride to the big city or a clueless person who thought Mexico City was by the beach
Old May 11th, 2018, 01:58 PM

Yes, Mexico City is a world destination and yes, people do dress like they do in Europe, IMO anyway, seeing as I (contrary to some) have actually been all around Eorope and a whole lot of places in Mexico besides the touristy city of Puerto Vallarta, where people don’t give a hoot what they pull out of their suitcase to wear. Mexico City is on a plateau which I hear is about 6000 or so feet in elevation, and therefore one should consider wearing something warm at night as it can get downright cold in March and still quite cool in May. As far as style is considered, wearing a jacket or a dress for dīner is quite the norm and you should fit right in...

Last edited by Moderator1; May 11th, 2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old May 11th, 2018, 02:45 PM

My first trip to Guadalajara 33 years ago it was a bright, sunny and warn day so as I was well tanned I elected to wear shorts. Walking less than two blocks receiving numerous hostile stares I returned to the Mendoza changing to long pants. I now often see tourists (and a few locals) wearing shorts with increasing frequency in GTO, Oaxaca,SMDA Toluca and other cities. Still bugs me some not that it is any of my business.
Old May 11th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Forum Moderator

Two posts have been edited to remove personal attacks. Several other posts which merely addressed those inappropriate attacks have been deleted.
Old May 12th, 2018, 01:42 PM

besides the touristy city of Puerto Vallarta, where people don’t give a hoot what they pull out of their suitcase to wear.

Obviously you haven't been to the nightclubs on the Malecon or salsa clubs in the Hotel Zone, especially on the weekends after midnight. PV get a lot of Mexican national visitors, in addition to the locals who love to dress up and dine out or party well into the morning hours... ladies in their high heel shoes.

Your stereotype of a badly dressed NOTB beach bum tourists is just that, a stereotype.
Old May 12th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
#10 makes a good point that I guess I didn't articulate very well before some fireworks apparently started. And that point is that in the central highlands, the 'hot' season still isn't that hot. It's not like coastal areas where the hot season is miserable, if not unbearable, so it's difficult to reconcile if one has never been in this part of Mexico. Cool mornings and evenings, daytime temps often struggle reach 80 F in CDMX (@ 7,000 ft + ASL), and it can get down to the mid or low 50's at night. And if you happen to have a bit of rain, it gets downright chilly. So shorts or not really is rarely dictated by the weather.
Old May 13th, 2018, 02:06 PM

No matter what western country people seem to dress as they please. I've seen shorts in the Winter in Chicago and Leon, Jeans in Mexico City, suits in LA and tuxedo's next to causal pants at San Francisco's opera. Just about anything goes most places.
Old May 13th, 2018, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
True stew, but gentlemen do not wear shorts in cities.
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:28 PM

You may be correct but I have to admit one of my best amigos in GTO is a retired Catholic priest that makes me want to shudder when I see him.wearing shorts.
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo View Post
...gentlemen do not wear shorts in cities.
What about kilts?
Old May 14th, 2018, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think a Scotsman can honorably wear a kilt, even in a city.
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo View Post
I think a Scotsman can honorably wear a kilt, even in a city.
I hope to shout! ! !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information