Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cuy PERU (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cuy-peru-382562/)

dennisg Dec 15th, 2003 04:43 PM

Cuy PERU

Hi, What is the CUY Peruvian dish?
Some recomendations/restaurant/cities to try CUY?

SrFlojo Dec 15th, 2003 07:29 PM

It is a rodent similar to a guinea pig. I think it tastes like chicken. It is all in the preparation and sauce. Buen provecho!

ma Dec 16th, 2003 05:31 AM

I had cuy at the Andean Grill restaurant in Cuzco. The server brought it out with the head still on for pictures, and then brought it back beheaded. It did taste like chicken; we felt it was a dish we had to try while in Peru.

ncanavan Dec 16th, 2003 05:55 AM

I didn't have the chance to eat it, but I did see it being passed around amongst the vendors in Pisac. It looked like a giant roasted rat.

Some restaurants require that you notify them a day in advance of ordering cuy. This is much the way Peking duck is ordered in the nicer restaurants in Chinatown here in New York. It insures freshness.

Axel2DP Oct 13th, 2009 06:56 PM

Has anyone here gotten sick eaten cuy? I ordered cuy chacato (sp?) for lunch once day when I was in Arequipa recently. It tasted fine then, and I had no problem finishing it, but I then felt somewhat nauseous and listless for that entire afternoon while sightseeing the Santa Catalina Monastary. I knew something wasn't well with me. Then when I was walking back to my hostal at around 5pm I puked ... in public ... multiple times. I puked a couple of more time that evening and morning in my hotel room.

I don't know if it was the cuy itself that made me sick, or if the restaurant did not prepare it properly, or if they used not so fresh cuy. The restaurant had a balcony facing the Plazas de Armas so it wasn't some out-of-the-way place that I was eating at. It was the first time I had ever gotten sick eaten foreign food while travelling. After that episode I pretty much just stick to safe pizzas for the rest of my stay in Arequipa.

mlgb Oct 14th, 2009 08:59 AM

Welcome back Axel, how about a trip report?

I don't know about your particular place but I've been warned to be sure to get recommendations on where to eat cuy.

And yes, it is a guinea pig!

aristokat Oct 16th, 2009 02:10 PM

We had fried cuy at MAPS cafe in Cusco which was excellent.

Then we also tried roasted cuy in Cusco (can't remember the name of the restaurant, it's Don something...near the main plaza). That was okay. We tried it just to say we did, but it's not something I craved...like Lomo Saltado which I tried to order whenever I got the chance.

P_M Oct 17th, 2009 05:44 PM

My group went for Cuy in Cuzco. I couldn't do it, it was too much of a turn off for me. They paid ~$25 each for their meals. Maybe it wasn't prepared well but everyone in my group hated it. I was very happy I stayed back at the hotel and had a $3 chicken sandwich from the bar. :-)