Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   cuautla, mexico - boring or charming? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cuautla-mexico-boring-or-charming-213821/)

marian May 5th, 2002 02:02 AM

cuautla, mexico - boring or charming?

cuautla, mexico - is it boring or charming? i would like to study spanish for l-2 wks at end of this may in a somewhat off the beaten track place, maximum 5,500 ft elevation. i'm a middle-aged female and will be by myself. I dont require lots to do, but do need something to do after classes. is cuautla a relaxing, pretty place or is it just dull? the lp guidebook calls it "uninspiring," but i have heard that it's very nice,like cuernavaca before all the tourists and language schools. the school in cuautla is relatively new and sounds very good, with friendly, qualified staff. but i wonder, would i end up feeling lonely, isolated, and bored, among mainly or only 20 yr old classmates, with not much to do on my own, and foolish for having tried so hard to avoid cuernavaca, which does sound lively? is this one time i should just go where "everyone else" goes? (i have already been to oaxaca and other mex cities, so am down to considerimg just cuautla and cuernavaca.if you have a 3rd alternative, let me know! not too hot, and, as mentioned, not too high.) thanks.

texasgirl May 5th, 2002 07:39 AM

Have you looked into either Guanajuato or Morelia? Neither are exactly off the beaten track, but still quite charming, with several schools to choose from, and plenty to do.

McH May 5th, 2002 04:47 PM

Marian,<BR><BR>I would have to agree with texasgirl, I do think you should be better off in a place like Guanajuato or Morelia, since you would have a lot to do and see in the city and in the surroundings. I find Cuautla quite as uninspiring as your guidebook advices.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>McH

jane Nov 24th, 2002 10:10 AM

Has anyone been to Morelia recently? I'm also thinking of taking a language course there, but am a little nervous about visiting Mexico alone (this would be my first trip to Latin America). I can cope with the usual petty theft issues (I've lived in or visited very large European and American cities). It's the violent mugging / dishonest police / highway theft / political uprising stuff that would concern me (if it exists in this region). Morelia, however, sounds like exactly the kind of city I'd enjoy visiting.

Sandy Nov 24th, 2002 12:03 PM

A friend and I just returned last week from 8 days in Leon, Morelia, and Patzcuaro, we had a ball. (BTW, we're ladies, pushing 60.)<BR><BR>We flew into Leon from Dallas/Ft. Worth and it was a 3.5 hr trip (on the fast Primer Plus bus) to Morelia, on very good highways. Patzcuaro is just 45 min by bus from Morelia.<BR><BR>Morelia is an old colonial town, lots of pretty buildings, probably lots to do, we were only there 1 day. We found hardly anyone who spoke English so this would be a very good place to study Spanish. In fact, we didn't see any other tourists in all 3 cities.<BR><BR>We were out late at night and never felt unsafe. We've traveled all over the world and especially in Central and South America and have never felt threatened or unsafe (except in Guatemala City and that's a whole 'nuther story). We don't wear jewelry or carry a purse and we try to use good, common sense.<BR><BR>I typed up my notes from my trip and would be happy to send it to you if you're interested. Just take the nospam part out of my address above.<BR><BR>Another good place to consider studying Spanish is Quito, Ecuador . . . I attended the Simon Bolivar school and it was very good and very inexpensive. I loved Ecuador.<BR><BR>Buen viaje,<BR>Sandy