Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cruising the Mexican Riviera June 2002 (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cruising-the-mexican-riviera-june-2002-a-165059/)

Richard T Feb 24th, 2002 04:57 PM

Cruising the Mexican Riviera June 2002

My wife and 17 year old son and I are booked on Carnival's 7 day cruise. Would be interested in feedback on the ship, Elation, shore excursions and ports of call, ; Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, and Mazatlan. What did you like and what you didn't.

Kathy Apr 17th, 2002 10:03 PM

Cruises don't allow for much time. We prefer to get our own cab and have them take you around to see the highlights and then walk back to the ship. MAZATLAN - colonial part of town. The opera house was quite interesting. Totally restored. The market is a must. CABO SAN LUCAS - walk the marina to the new mall (not many shops open, but is a beautiful building)or take a cab to glass factory, have him wait, then go to Artesanos - the Costco of Mexican junk. Great opportunity to get peuter, glassware, dishes, etc. very cheap. PV - haven't been.

travel Apr 18th, 2002 02:00 AM

I went last November. The ship is very nice, the entertainment was very very good, the food was also very good although the same thing for breakfast got boring actually. <BR>The ports of call were something else. PV we took a taxi with another couple who were Mexican but lived in LA for 30 years - didn't speak much English but of course were good with Spanish. PV was at best pretty unremarkable but unfortunately was the best of the 3 stops. Mazatlan was just dirty and uninteresting and we didn't even bother to get off at Cabo. Calling it the Riviera is a bit of a joke.<BR>Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but I tell it as I see it. <BR>Have someone pick you up too if you can but wait for them down the ramp at the bottom of the road to the ship so that they won't wait for ages. <BR>

Cruise Fan Apr 18th, 2002 05:50 AM

Richard, try looking at the CRUISES FORUM for more info on your ship and possibly more advice on the ports of call.<BR>Go to the page where they list ALL of the forums, and scroll down till you see it. The CRUISES forum (and others) are just not visible till you scroll down.<BR>Also, there are several websites devoted specifically to cruising. One of them is:<BR><BR>www.cruise-addicts.com<BR><BR>It also has a forum like this one.

Kathy Apr 18th, 2002 08:00 AM

I just love people who go on cruises and decide from the ship a port isn't worth the effort. Cabo is easily seen on foot. Besides my other suggestions in prior post, you could just take a water taxi (or walk) to the Mango deck restaurant and just sit, participate in water sports and people watch. The snorkeling isn't good in the bay unless you go to Lovers Beach. Best is Santa Maria or Chileno by cab or on a snorkeling tour. There is a great little silver shop off the marina across from Kentucky Fried Chicken (we have all the classics now!) called Pacifico's, look for Candido and tell him Kathy sent you. He is honest and will give you a deal. I'm sure you will be given a map. Walking up around the Zocolo and just exploring the ports is what cruising is all about. helps one decide if it is a place you want to return to. Looking at what the cruise offers and then going on your our worked for us. Example: we cruised western carrib. brought our own snorkeling gear, got a cab and asked him to take us to the best snorkeling beach. We were there hours before the cruise people covered the place (that's when we left), had a great time, then went shopping. Don't miss the dirty city of Mazatlan! Be sure to tour the colonial town which is also near the huge market. I forgot we did go to PV 6 years ago and it is worth a walk through. We had a car and when I think of PV, I think of Sayulita a small cove 45 min. north of PV. Mostly shopping, which is better than Cabo. It does have lots of neat coves nearby to the south of town. We went to the place where Night of the Iquana was filmed...a tourist thing but was fun to see. A cab could get you there and to a nice beach if time permits. I don't know about the docking in PV or Mazat. but cabs are always waiting nearby. Mexico is not the USA and sometimes we americans forget that. Enjoy the people.......for the most part, they are wonderful, gracious and happy you are visiting their country.

Monica Apr 19th, 2002 01:28 PM

I traveled the same itinerary back in '92 except the ship was Carnival's Jubilee. It was my 1st experience with Mexico and I have traveled to various parts ever since! Assuming you have the same amount of time in each port, I would suggest the city tour of PV which hits all scenic sites, shopping, beaches, etc. In Mazatlan, we attended a cultural show (my least favorite of the 3 ports, though I didn't HATE it). Finally, in Cabo, where we only docked a 1/2 day, we enjoyed the glass bottom boat tour and parasailed. PV gets my top vote of all three, as it's the most authentic, good shopping and friendly people. Enjoy! Monica