Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cruise stop in Belize (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cruise-stop-in-belize-293508/)

mcsyb Mar 1st, 2003 12:17 PM

Cruise stop in Belize

Hi all,<BR><BR>Have been reading numerous posts and discovered you folks are a wealth of information! Now it's my turn with a question and I'm hoping you can be just as helpful.<BR><BR>My husband and I are going on a cruise in May (20th Anniversary!) and will be stopping in Belize City (Arrive 7 am Depart 6 pm). Any suggestions as to what we can see/do in this short amount of time (other than shopping?) to make our stop memorable? <BR><BR>Thank you for your input!!!

LanSluder Mar 1st, 2003 12:49 PM

If you want to e-mail me ([email protected] -- drop the NOSPAM part), I can send you an article I've done on the subject.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder<BR>www.belizefirst.com<BR>

JayWeinstein Mar 1st, 2003 02:46 PM

Lan,<BR>Let the rest of us hear your advice! There are a lot of us who may be interested in learning about Belize.<BR>Jay

LanSluder Mar 2nd, 2003 08:21 AM

Sorry, this article is too long to be posted here.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

sable Mar 21st, 2003 05:47 AM

Hi,<BR>If you are at all interested in animals, I would suggest the Belize Zoo.<BR>We took the local city bus to the zoo which is a little ways out of town. The zoo is arranged in a very interesting way with clever signage about the animals. We really enjoyed it. Other than that, not much else to see in Belize City. We did take a short tour of an historical museum in town also.<BR>Enjoy. Joanne

dp Mar 21st, 2003 08:56 AM

From our cruise in Jan., we did a Lamanai River trip in Belize that was a bus trip from port to the river, 25 mile winding river trip seeing all kinda of birds, crocodiles and turtles, ending at the Lamanai ruins, which were not huge, but still interesting. It included a simple lunch. Other friends went to the Xuchnantanich (I know I spelled it wrong) ruins and said they were beautiful (about a 3 hour bus trip) and others did a Shark Ray Alley beach trip and had a blast there. Definitely plan an excursion off the ship, as the port of Belize City itself didn't offer much to see IMHO.

fluffnfold Apr 1st, 2003 11:38 AM

That's a long time in port--you can do almost anything! Even the day trip to Tikal, Guatemala (via Tropic Air) fits within that time frame. I really enjoyed Tikal, but it was pricey (about $280 per person). Cave tubing at Jaguar Paw Jungle Lodge is also an option (about $100 per person). You could also snorkel at Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley (not sure on the price from BC, as we did this from Ambergris Caye). Plus all the excellent Mayan sites in Belize: Xunantunich, Lamanai, Altun Ha (maybe combined with a visit to Bomba village or Maruba Spa). I just love Belize!