Notices

Crossing Laredo Mexico from the states

Dec 27th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Crossing Laredo Mexico from the states

Hola! I have lived in Mexico City for two years now, and did purchase the vehicle permit, and have an FM2. I drove to Mexico once, and once back. This will be my second trip driving back, and I needed to know, I developed a crack in my windshield, and it is spreading. In order to pass registration in the United States, I will need to replace the windshield. Can I cut out the permit I bought, and replace on the new windshield with velcro? This way the permit will match the paper I received when I bought the permit. Does anyone know if that us allowed? Removing the permit physically, will ruin the permit? Worst case, I can allow the temporary registration in the U.S. to expire, return to in Mexico with the cracked windshield, and try to replace when in Mexico, but that still leaves me with removing the permit from the old windshield.. ) Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!
Dec 27th, 2012, 06:16 PM

My best guess is that you would do better asking this on and ex-pat site, where poeple have FM2s and go back and forth in their vehicles.

Like this one:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/mex...living-mexico/
Dec 28th, 2012, 07:02 AM

The easiest remedy is to cancel the permit when you leave MX, replace the windshield in the US, get a new permit when you re-enter MX. Keep all the proof of cancellation. Do not try to remove the old permit. The only downside is if your old permit was obtained under the old rules where your deposit was never billed to your credit card. The new rules require your card to be billed immediately upon applying for the permit, and can be expensive, up to $400. I'm sure there is a way to avoid doing the above, but the hassle involved would be a nightmare.

Search this Thread