Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Crazy to drive from San Jose to Corcovado National Park at end of October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We are a young couple with some adventure travel experience. We are flying into SJO on Oct. 25, and were thinking of driving directly to either the Whale Marine Park or to to the Osa Peninsula. We thought we could drive our rental 4x4 to the inland Los Patos ranger station, stay at a lodge somewhere close by and start exploring the park from there. However, it looks like the park receives pretty serious rainfall this time of year. Would love feedback from travelers who've visited the park at this point in green season. Thanks!
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 01:18 PM

We were on the Osa during green season, but July, not October. I asked one of our guides what the weather was like in October, and he said heavy rains and that the property sometimes goes under water and that it can rain for days without stopping. This is a nice map that can give you a general idea of weather patterns. Just mouse over it to see the rainfall by month in each area.

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, volcanogirl. Do you think the Osa would still be worth visiting even with all that rain?
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM

I would go to a different area in October or else travel to the Osa at a different time of year. July was nice, but into September and October you're really risking getting all day heavy rains. It's really up to you if you want to take the chance, but I wouldn't do it.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

From Corcovado, we want to drive towards Rincon de la Vieja. Is there a good place to stop along the way, other than Manuel Antonio?
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:45 AM

In October you are much better off heading towards the Caribbean side for their "little summer" which means it's much drier than other parts of the country.

I agree with VG - I would choose another part of the country. I love the Osa, but wouldn't go in Oct.

As far as driving from Corcovado to Rincon - that's a long way! You'll be going from one end of the country to the other. There are loads of towns to stop at along the way - just pick a few towns on the map and do a search here.
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 03:31 PM

I have been away from the boards for a while, and just saw this. You are already off on your adventure.

Please post a trip report when you return. This is one I really want to hear about.

Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 06:32 AM

Fingers crossed for dry weather for you.