CR volunteer opportunities while in between jobs

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR volunteer opportunities while in between jobs

One of my good friends finds herself in between jobs and is looking to do some volunteer work in Costa Rica.

She is late 40's with an adventurous spirit. She is by herself and therefore safety is very important. The duration would likely be between 2 and 4 weeks.

Any ideas of a unique and intersting experience that would do some good?

Thanks
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Check out the Earthwatch website. They offer a few opportunities in CR, I believe.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac - I was surprised there was no response. Interesting how we all like to visit, but it is so fleeting. The other avenue I am pursuing to help out my friend is through a friend's college aged kid. With hope today's youth will have it all figured for the next ones!

Cheers
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Hello
It would be useful to know what sort of activities interest your friend. There are nature related and people related volunteer opportunities (organic farms, orphan shelters, animal shelters, etc). Let me know and I can guide her.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM

I run a volunteer program here in Costa Rica. The majority of our volunteers are single women believe it or not. And our volunteer coordinator, Laura, works closely with our volunteers, so they are never really "alone." Costa Rica was voted the 2nd most safest country in the world for single women travelers in 2006 by USA Today.

Anything I can do to answer any questions about the program, please don't hesitate to call me on my toll-free number, 1-800-832-9419. And be sure to check out the website, www.helpingcostarica.com

Warmly,

Scott
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
flamesfan

Hacienda Baru, a private reserve near Dominical, takes volunteers and they have an interesting facility with a smaller, educational zip line, rainforest hikes, mangrove tours,and unique offerings such as night in the jungle or night on the beach . When we were there, we met a volunteer who was staying for 3 months.

The sloth refuge, Aviaros del Caribe, just south of Limon takes volunteers who are able to commit for one month.

Last year, my daughter wanted to do a combination of Spanish school and volunteer work and the school she chose was helpful in placing her in an orphanage for a few days a week. When we originally were looking at the options we found that most volunteer opportunities in CR were quite pricey. In the end my teenage daughter was very happy with the alternative of living with a family in a homestay and contributing to the community.