Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   cr turtles (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cr-turtles-173397/)

scott Mar 17th, 2002 06:57 AM

cr turtles

any idea if we will be able to see turtles laying eggs in early May? or would we be wasting our time looking for them.<BR>thanks <BR>scott

Parrot Mom Mar 17th, 2002 08:16 AM

Access to the turtle egg laying area is very organized and limited, you must go with a certified guide.

Parrakeet Dad Mar 17th, 2002 12:05 PM

I don't know what CV stands for, but we visited the sea turtle "farm" on Isles Mujeres, and it was fascinating.

scott Mar 17th, 2002 03:28 PM

i do not see a "cv" on this thread so i cant help you. thanks for the replys though, do these things go year round? i do realize the importance of being a well looked after process and protection, due to the low survival rate. just wondering if you can actually see turtles in may.

Barb Mar 20th, 2002 05:10 AM

Hi Scott,<BR>Just got back from CR and the turtle "season" ends at the beginning of March so you will not see any egg laying in May. We arrived too late for that also but were lucky enough to see some babies who had made it out of their shells and were heading out to sea. Very cool.

Iza Mar 20th, 2002 07:06 AM

The turtle season on the Pacific coast is November to March, as Barb pointed out. However, check the Atlantic coast, I believe you can see turtles there at a different time of year than the Pacific coast.<BR>Good luck.

Dawn Mar 21st, 2002 08:05 AM

The Caribbean Coast is THE location in Costa Rica to see sea turtle nesting and the hatchlings, specifically you need to go to Tortuguero National Park, which is located in the Northeastern corner of the country. The two main species that nest in this area are the Leatherbacks (huge, 2,000 pounds) and the Green sea turtles. Leatherbacks nest from March through June with baby turtles appearing about 60 days later. The Green Sea Turtles nest from June through November and once again you can see hatchlings through the end of the year. I am aware of volunteer opportunities through the Caribbean Conservation Corporation that allow you to have close contact with the nesting turtles. You could also arrange a night visit through a local ecolodge. <BR><BR>As for all this talk about Pacific nesting, it is true that Olive Ridley sea turtles nest on the Pacific side of the country. This is actually one of their most important nesting areas in the world. The nesting is based on lunar cycles, the majority of nesting occurs during the last quarter of the cycle. The wet season (May to November) has the most activity with the best chance to see turtles being August through October. <BR><BR>Leatherbacks also nest on the Pacific Coast, however, they only nest from October to February.<BR><BR>Hawksbill turtles, the most rare of all sea turtles, also nest on the Pacific Coast, but cannot be observed. They are so endangered that seeing one is almost a once in a lifetime opportunity. <BR><BR>

Monica Mar 22nd, 2002 08:37 AM

Dawn: If I understand you correctly, than during my trip to Costa Rica from June 27 to July 10th I can see leatherback turtles hatching? How would I go about arranging this?

Iza Jun 30th, 2002 12:36 PM

Topping for all interested.

Tess Jul 10th, 2002 09:18 AM

-<BR><BR>Check out this website for more 'turtle talk'<BR>http://www.cccturtle.org/<BR><BR>Also, when I was in CR during November (guided tour) it was arranged for us to see leatherbacks nesting on Playa Grande (just north of Tamarindo) --- at that time, Earth Watch was doing a conservation project and guides led us on to the beach at night (can't go yourself, beach is restricted) to witness the event. Very cool ! If your hotel is close to a nesting area, they should know how to hook you up with a guide.<BR><BR>In addition to Playa Grande (on Pacific Coast side), other nesting regions are on Playa Ostional-Nancite (Santa Rosa Natl Park) and the Las Baulas National Marine Park.<BR>