Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   CR: La Selva Biological Station (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cr-la-selva-biological-station-458765/)

poss Jul 10th, 2004 04:27 PM

CR: La Selva Biological Station

I've inquired about La Selva in the past, but no one has responded, so I'm going to try again. We're trying to decide whether to book a tour there one of the days from Peace Lodge. The place sounds good to me, but I never read reports about it from anyone. I'm not sure it's worth an hour and a half drive each way to do trails for a couple of hours. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who's been there. Thanks!

Barbarian Jul 10th, 2004 07:09 PM

You've not received responses previously because the Sarapiquí region, where La Selva is located, is definitely off the beaten path. Although I have not visited La Selva, I like the area generally. It is one of those under-explored regions, overflowing with rainforests, flora and fauna, and personally I hope it stays that way for a while longer. You can be one of the few, the proud, the muddy!

poss Jul 11th, 2004 05:51 AM

Barbarian: thanks for responding. Since you know CR so well, can you possibly answer my other post abt. Hanging Bridges tour in Arenal and Rainmaker tour in MA? I wish I knew how similar they are-- whether it's worth doing both, or if not, which one is more interesting. (We'll be in both areas.) Thank you.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jul 11th, 2004 06:37 AM

I have done the La Selva tours, and I think those folks do a phenomenal job. If you're going to be at the Peace Lodge anyway, La Selva is worth the trip. It isn't so far away.

Barbarian Jul 11th, 2004 07:42 AM

I know nothing about the Hanging Bridges tour in Arenal and Rainmaker tour in MA. I do know, however, that you do not need to make reservations for either before arriving in Arenal or Manuel Antonio. I'm not sure when you are traveling, but I have never known of anyone not being able to book a tour at the last minute. Believe me, if you want to go, they will find a way to fit you in. Wait until you get there to decide what activities you want to participate in.

LA_FadeAway Jul 11th, 2004 11:24 AM

Poss,
I asked the same question regarding Rainmaker vs. Hanging Bridges a few months ago and got some good responses. I'll see if I can find it and send it to the top for you. I believe the general conclusion is that Hanging Bridges are better.

poss Jul 11th, 2004 12:55 PM

Fadeaway: Thanks ever so much for the bridges/rainmaker reports. I wonder, tho, if perhaps Rainmaker just hadn't gotten its act together when those folks went; it's fairly new I think. I'm going to keep trying to find info. I forget exactly when your trip is, but I know it's soon. Bon Voyage! (I know-- wrong language...)

karenski Jul 11th, 2004 01:13 PM

I have been on the La Selva walk. It was very fun, not strenuous, and we had an excellent guide. We saw lots of animals and birds. Stayed at Selva Verde and made the reservation for the walk over the internet. It was worth the time. Even thinking about going back this year.You can also eat lunch at La Selva Biological Station if you make arrangements ahead ot time. It was about ten minutes by car from Selva Verde Lodge.

gannetmusic Jul 12th, 2004 01:35 PM

La Selva is one of my favourite spots in CR.

Take a morning guided tour [8am or so if I recall.] The guides are excellent, the trail system is paved and you will see both secondary [second growth] and primary [old growth] wet forest with some huge trees laden with vines and epiphytes.
You will almost certainly see blue morpho butterflies, poison arrow frogs,leaf cutter ants and a variety of birds.

Mammals most likely to be seen include agouti, howler monkeys, and variegated squirrels. We had great looks at a very close northern tamandu [anteater] on our last visit.

Tour and lunch arrangements should be made well in advance.

A hint for seeing more birds and mammals. Get there at dawn and walk the last 1/2 mile of the entrance road going into La Selva and also look for birds around the cafeteria and gift shop on the grounds. You will see a variety of parrots, hummingbirds, oropendolas, puffbirds, trogons, flycatchers etc etc....birding here can be outstanding! Once we even saw a pair of huge Great Currasows here close to the buildings.

Mammals in this area that we have seen more than once include peccaries and tayra [a large weasel.]

As mentioned above the Selva Verde Lodge is nearby and offers comfortable rooms and excellent wildlife watching right on the grounds. [Last time there we had a close look at a fer-de-lance!]

cheers

Jerry