Search

CR Itinerary- Help Please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:31 PM
Noreen

CR Itinerary- Help Please

We are planning a one week March vacation in Costa Rica, and are feeling overwhelmed and indecisive re- the options.<BR><BR>We are thinking of dividing our time between Tortuguero National Park and the Manzanillo / Puerto Viejo areas - probably staying at the Almonds and Corals Tent Camp. As I read discussion feedback, no one has recommended, or even spoken of, the Manzanillo or Tent Camp options. We would appreciate some feedback.<BR><BR>Would we be better to combine Tortuguero with somehere else? e.g. Arenal Volcano area? Tabor/Montezuma beaches? Osa Peninsula? ... ???<BR><BR>It is important that we experience some of the eco-highlights that CR has to offer. As well, we would like some of our time to be spent with beach access. (Is there beach access at Tortuguero?) Is it reasonable to choose two places that are on opposite sides of the island, or would that mean for too much travel time? Recommendations will be welcomed.<BR>(And, how does one travel between such resort areas?<BR>Do you recommend s canopy tour? How long does it take? How agile must one be?<BR><BR>Thanx.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:15 AM
noisland

You may not be reading much about the caribbean side, as most go to the Pacific. Sorry, I can't help either as we always go to the Pacific....<BR>I'll top this for you and now that the weekend is over maybe someone will respond who can help. You may also try posting on Lonely Travel board.<BR>Oh, be the way... Costa Rica is not an island. Good luck!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Noreen

Thanks for your assistance. Ooops! Of course, I well know that Costa Rica is not an island!!! It was very late when I posted my question ... poor excuse!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Barbara

There are so many other things that you need to see in CR!! You may want to look at packages that people offer and that will give you at least an idea of what is good to see and the best order to do it in. I bought my last one from www.cheap2travel.com, they have several for CR but I actually ended up calling and they changed it around so I got everything we wanted to see and nothing we didn't. It was really well priced also. Make sure you visit the Monteverde Cloud Forest, and most definately the Arenal Volcano.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Dawn

If you are looking for the ecological highlights in CR, then split your week between Tortuguero and the Osa Peninsula. While they are far apart, you can fly between the two. I have heard of some chartered direct flights, but I think the majority stop in San Jose. So you are correct, choosing these two locations will take some travel time, but you would spend as much time flying to Tortuguero as you would flying/driving to Monteverde due to awful road conditions. Getting anywhere in CR takes a good bit of time. For example, the drive from Monteverde to Arenal is only 70 miles, but it takes at least four hours. Like I said, bad roads. I have not been to Tortuguero so I cannot comment on the two hotels you mentioned. However, I can confirm that the Osa Peninsula is truly amazing. One of the most biologically diverse and remote places that I have ever been. We stayed at the Aguila de Osa Inn, which was fantastic. Many of the inns in the Osa Peninsula, particularly those in Drake Bay, have beach access and the beaches are amazing with very, very warm water. I did not go on a canopy tour because we wanted to get into the canopy to see the animals. You can't see much when you are moving that fast so we did one of those bridge walking tours and we still saw nothing. However, you do not need to be in good shape to do a canopy tour. We saw lots of older people and out of shape people whizzing around without problems.