CR - Is MA what we are looking for?

Old Sep 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM
wug
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR - Is MA what we are looking for?

We're heading to CR for the first time the end of January. We only have a week and have decided we really want to pick an area and stay for the entire week. (except maybe a night near SJO depending on our flights). We know this is the high season and usually we don't go places during their high season. This year, though, we're really wanting a beach trip during the winter.

We're looking at the MA area but I want to make sure it's what we're looking for. Our thought is to do an activity each day and hit a beach to chill and snorkel each day. The activity may be hiking, kayaking, zipline tour, etc. One day the "activity" may be just wandering a local town, visiting the farmer's market, etc.

We spent a week on the north shore of Kauai and did this exact thing. We had a car and did a different hike or kayak and then chose a beach to go chill and or snorkel.

We're looking at renting a small house or condo with a water view. We don't want to be in a resort. What is MA like this time of year? Is there a better area that is less crowded? Either away from MA or near it?

What do you awesome Fodorites think?
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:37 PM

CR is a great destination, we've been there twice, but I'm not sure it's going to fit the description you're looking for. CR isn't known for snorkeling, from what I understand it's quite cloudy with a lot of sediment. There are quite a lot of activities to be found in MA, but most of the hotels are not right on the beach. There are condos and houses for rent though I'm sure. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction for that.

Have you considered one of the Cayes in Belize? If you'd like to snorkel every day that's an ideal location. Belize would offer you the option of daytrips inland for the ziplining and hiking, as well as the snorkeling. We just got back from Ambergris Caye as part of our Belize vacation and the snorkeling was wonderful. The atmosphere there was definitely the beach bum, do nothing but relax and after a morning activity - atmosphere.

I'm just thinking if you want the laid back beach atmosphere, and snorkeling is a big priority, CR might not be the destination for you.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM
wug
Original Poster

Thanks so much ShellD. I'll have to let my hubby know about the snorkeling, or lack of. Thank you for the suggestion for Belize however, we've actually been there and absolutely loved it. We also stayed on Ambergris as well as spent a few days inland for jungle trek/caving. We thought about going back to Belize but have been wanting to visit CR.

What about hiking? We aren't big on guided tours. Are there hiking trails that we could use in the MA area and do on our own? Even if we had to drive a bit to get to them. So, besides the snorkeling, would MA in CR fit the bill?
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM

We did snorkeling in MA, and it was honestly pretty bad. We did it as part of a sailing tour, and there was so much sediment in the water that I couldn't even see my husband a few feet away. I'd give snorkeling there a pass. The beach was beautiful, and there was a lot of wildlife, but it was very tame and used to people, not wild like what we saw in other areas of the country. MA is fairly developed with quite a few hotel and restaurant choices. We didn't see much hiking other than going inside the national park itself.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
wug
Original Poster

As far as the things we are wanting. Is there a different area of CR we should consider? Take the snorkeling out but still think hiking, etc...
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM

If you want good hiking and adventure activities, you might look at Arenal. A combo of Arenal and MA would be good for you. Arenal has loads to see and do - the active volcano, hike to the bottom of the waterfall and swim there, do a volcano hike, do the Cano Negro tour to see wildlife, hike the Hanging Bridges. I think you'd like it, and then you could head to MA for beach time. You could do three nights in each place and a night in SJO.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM

We rented a villa for a week just south of Dominical, which is about an hour from MA. We flew from SJO to Quepos, rented a car and drove to the villa. You'll hear horror stories about the road to Dominical but it is much improved so please ignore them.

We LOVED our villa and the location between Dominical and Uvita. Nothing resorty about it which is what we loved the most. It was a totally magical place and the view was undescribable. We were visited by monkeys, toucans, coatis and various other wildlife. We ended up not doing much of anything most of the time except hanging out at the villa. You'll understand when you see the website.

We did explore all the nearby beaches, hiked at Hacienda Baru, walked out to Whale's Tail, explored Dominical, Uvita and Ojochal. We bought fresh seafood, fruits and veggies and grilled out most nights. But, there are several very good restaurants in the area as well.

It is definitely not touristy here and it's very laid back. We only brought bathing suits and coverups. There's a washer and dryer and anything else you could possibly need at the villa. We spent two hours killing time in MA before our plane departed for SJO and that was plenty for us. MA is not what you want if you don't want touristy.

Anyway, check out the area and the villa website. Hope this helps.

http://flyingtoucans.com/
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
wug
Original Poster

Hi AustinTraveler, Thanks so much. Funny you would bring up that area. I was about to post if this area would be better for us. It seems like there's more in the way of hiking, waterfalls, etc. Also, the option to go out to the island (can't remember the name right now..Cano?) and Drake's bay for a day trip from here. Also, soooo many incredible places to rent for a week. I was even looking at the villa where you stayed. Looks incredible, although it's a bit too rich for our budget on this trip. I'm also glad to hear about the road being easy to drive. We'll have a car and have no problem driving to different beaches, hikes, etc.

How long was the drive between Quepos and Dominical. I've seen reports of anywhere from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours. What is it really?
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM

It took us about an hour. There was roadwork going on then and from what I hear now, the road is much improved. Also, you can drive from SJO instead of flying into Quepos. I believe that takes about three hours.

One thing about this area that you should know about is that the beaches aren't going to be white with crystal blue waters. That's the Caribbean side. Also, the water can be really rough, especially the undertow. But, none of that bothered me in the slightest. Just thought you should know. In fact, I preferred it because you have jungle dropping right down onto beach. Really makes for some dramatic views.

As far as all the places to stay, I totally agree. There are some gorgeous places in the Dominical/Uvita/Ojochal area. Very few will be on the ocean side of the highway like Flying Toucans. Most will be up in the jungle. Nothing wrong with that...just means more wildlife!! But, do check to see what the road leading up to any prospective villa is like. We drove up a few just for fun and usually found ourselves turning around. You really don't want to have to drive up a steep, bumpy dirt road for 20 minutes just to get to your villa.

No matter where you end up in Costa Rica, I definitely recommend going. I've been to some very special places but what sets Costa Rica apart is the wildlife. When a toucan flies through your outdoor living room and a monkey is hanging from a tree in your yard, well, that just leaves me speechless!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything AustinTraveler said but we stayed at Shelter From the Storm, which was also just south of Dominical. SFTS had a perfect 37 out of 37 5 star rating on Trip Advisior when we went there in June this year. Monkeys everywhere! Turns out the rating was well deserved. Since the economy is down, some of these places will negotiate on rates. We got SFTS at a discount.

Go to Costa Rica. You'll love it. Avoid MA if you don't like crowds, MA is one of the most touristy areas in CR.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:41 AM

The owners of Shelter From the Storm are also the caretakers of Flying Toucans! I think you'll love SFTS and Donna and Daryl will help you with anything you need to know about the area.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM

The national park at the southern end of the Pacific side has good snorkeling; it's also spectacular. A few days between Dominical/Uvita then head south? I'd avoid MA, frankly (just my opinion; seemed incredibly crowded). HIking in Monteverde is gorgeous; maybe start there, then end up on the beach?
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM

AustinTraveler -- True about being caretakers. I found people really networking in the area to help each other out. Specifically with SFTS, Flying Toucans, Villa de las Aves and Coconut Grove. Good to know people are looking out for one another.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 09:28 AM
wug
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! We definitely have some research to do. We only have a week this trip and it seems that maybe we'd like to do CR when we're doing a two week trip. (We usually do a two week vacation each summer) Decisions, Decisions.

CR just seems like our kind of place with so many things we love to do.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM

We only had a week plus one night near SJO and it was perfect. I think the trick is to stay in one place. So many people go to Costa Rica and travel between two or three places. But for us, staying in one place worked out great and we have honestly never had such a rewarding, relaxing vacation.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Wug,
If you are like many of us, you'll go once and return again and again and again...