Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   CR in October - Am I Crazy - Please, Please Advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cr-in-october-am-i-crazy-please-please-advise-738777/)

ahl721 Sep 25th, 2007 06:42 AM

CR in October - Am I Crazy - Please, Please Advise

Hi All,
My husband wants to go to Costa Rica in the middle of October this year. I know it is the rainy season - is it dangerous that time of year. What would you do?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

volcanogirl Sep 25th, 2007 09:03 AM

It depends on which part you want to go to. Check out costa-rica-guide.com - it has a map that you can mouse over, and it shows the expected rainfall for each part of the country during specific months. For most areas, that's the rainiest time of year, but you may have more luck on the Caribbean side. I would probably pick another month, but that's just me.

hipvirgochick Sep 25th, 2007 12:05 PM

What do you mean my dangerous? The roads flooding and such? Sure, that can happen. What type of vacation do you want? If you're ok with activities in the rain there would still be a lot you can do. We spent a few hours in rain ponchos, it was warm, and we were fine. As volcanogirl says, you may want to check out the Caribbean side. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in and around Puerto Viejo. Also, that's a good time of year to visit Tortugero where you can enjoy wildlife and possibility of turtle nesting. Good luck!

msteacher Sep 25th, 2007 03:22 PM

In my book, being in Costa Rica in the rain is still better than being home in the sun.

shillmac Sep 25th, 2007 04:35 PM

Same here! AA out of Dallas offering a good fare for the first weekend in October. If I could manage a couple of days off, I'd go in a heartbeat! And take my chances. . .

We were there once end of October. Puerto Viejo (Caribbean), central valley, and down toward Jaco area. Had a wonderful time with some rain, not enough to bother. Good luck!

NO, it isn't dangerous! Have fun! :)

beachies7500 Sep 26th, 2007 04:35 AM

We just returned from Los Suenos (Central Pacific region)and San Jose 9/24 and, although we had reservations about going during the rainy season, it was no problem. You get up early (sun up at 5) and can do a lot before it starts clouding up/raining by 1-3 pm each day. hotels are not crowded, small #s on the tours and in restaurants, beautiful color in the rainforest!! it is a RAINforest... waterfalls are max and its a truly wonderful experience. I suppose some days could be completely rainy, but you could go to a US beach and have the same.... go for it!

imcooker Sep 28th, 2007 07:25 AM

We'll be heading to CR on 10/20 for a week with 3 days at Arenal and 4 days on Playa Grande. We expect to have plenty of rain but looking forward to the ADVENTURE! Just go with the flow & make the most of it. I figure it will be a memorable trip any way we look at it.

shillmac Sep 28th, 2007 09:00 PM

You figure right! Have a great time and let us hear all about it when you return! :)

kdlcosta Sep 30th, 2007 08:41 AM

I'd say, if you had a choice, come in November - your odds are much better for beautiful weather. If you don't have that option, come in October. I live on the central pacific coast and today was the first day in a while I woke up to total rain. But, as the other person mentioned, most days it's clear when you wake up and rains in the afternoon - so just make sure you do any tours you want in the am. The best part is there are not nearly as many tourists in October - so towns are not crowded and neither are tours.

PSUgirl96 Oct 19th, 2007 09:46 AM

Is it still sunny in the morning and afternoon showers in the Central Pacific coast? I am planning a trip next week and have been readin about all the rain. I saw that many towns are flooded in various places in the country.

vetteman Oct 20th, 2007 07:40 AM

I posted a message couple days ago-- rain---costarica and didn't get any reply, but i get the Tico Times , the Costa Rica paper and they say they are experincing much more rain than usual and there is much flooding and mud slides, anyone know any more about this??

gannetmusic Oct 20th, 2007 07:53 AM

The heavy rain, mudslides etc are true. Just got an email from friends who live near Tamarindo and some of their favourite areas to visit are just about impossible right now.

This especially heavy rainy season on the Pacific coast was expected, since this is a 'La Nina' year.

Jerry

betts20e Nov 14th, 2007 03:36 PM

I don't have personal experience in CR in october, but in response to the suggestion to go to tortuguero, I remember reading a story that the guides hadn't checked to water levels, and that they were very high, and when they went out in the boat some complication occured (sorry, i know thats vague, but i read this a couple months back)and a man died because the water was too dangerous to be out on.
Not to rain on your parade (no pun intended), just to put that out there. If I were you, I wouldn't forget the idea, just be cautious about where you go and concious that people are doing their jobs