CR honeymoon booked - need activities help

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR honeymoon booked - need activities help

Okay, some of you may have seen me post previously. I have everything for our honeymoon booked at this point. We are flying to Costa Rica on September 18th, and then on to Quepos. We will be staying at Buena Vista Villas in Manuel Antonio for two weeks. I am so excited that I can hardly wait.

Now, I just have a million other questions. Hopefully someone can help with these real quick and easy questions:

1. A good provider for scuba? And yes, I know it is not the greatest diving.
2. Whitewater rafting provider?
3. Kayaking provider?
4. Sport fishing provider?
5. Canopy/horseback tour provider?
6. Is the 25 lbs luggage limit really enforced? Can we easily pay an extra fee if needed?
7. How should I plan access to cash for Manuel Antonio? Should I bring some cash and count on my credit card? I read the guides, I am not sure what to do
8. Are the beaches in Costa Rica "european" style when it comes to proper attire or American style? The fiancee wants to know
9. Can you suggest some really good restaurants?
10. Is there an easy to access bank, convenience store, and grocery store in MA?
11. When we fly in, we are leaving directly for Quepos. I will not have time for a bank in SJO. So, where should I change my money if need, Quepos or Manuel Antonio?

I know there are a lot of questions, but they are pretty easy. I am just trying to finalize our plans in the next couple weeks so that we can relax and enjoy the honeymoon.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I can answer as to money in MA. There are bank machines there. We used a machine near this place called something like NY Pizza often and never had a problem.

As far as horseback riding, Finca Valmy was great. We really enjoyed our day with them.

Also, re the 25 pounds. We flew Sansa and had a little more than 25 pounds each. We were not charged anything additional for the extra weight I think because our plane was not full. I do not know how Nature Air would work.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Seawitch1!

That is the second recommendation I have received for Finca Valmy. So, they are now on our list for horseback riding if we so choose.

As for the weight limit, I am worried. I travelled to China for two weeks and the limit was 40 pounds. I thought that was tough. So, 25 pounds for two weeks is going to be really tough. My camera bag alone weighs 25 pounds, but that is my carry on.

If anyone can help with the other questions, I would really appreciate it. I will continue to do research.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM

You can pack for one week and then have your laundry done half-way through your trip, which is what we did. The cost is very reasonable, we found cheaper to have done in MA than in Monteverde) and if you can get your clothes to them early enough in the morning, you can get them back the same day.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Oh, good point. We did that on our China trip too. I will ask about the service through the hotel.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:05 AM

You probably won't have a problem with weight if you don't go too heavy. The weight is the total of everything you are bringing. That time of year tourism is lighter. It is the overall weight of the plane that they worry about. Less passengers means less weight. They may charge you a small fee per lb. Clothes that do double duty like zip off pants are a weight saver. Don't forget the rain gear. Pack a sarong to sit on at the beach instead of a towel.

No European style beaches. The Costa Ricans are pretty conservative. Hint....stroll up the beach from MA towards the north. I hear there are some little areas that are more private than others.

There are places to pick up supplies.

In that area US$ is pretty well accepted for most things. Have lots of smaller bills for tips. Often you will be given change in colones.

Congratulations and have fun!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Gracias Suzie!

Good to find out now about the beaches instead of later ;-). As for packing, I have been traveling for a while and I think I can keep it light. However, it is going to be a stretch. I do have 3 pairs of light weight, synthetic convertable pants from my China trip. So, those will serve me well.

I also found a services map of Manuel Antonio. It seems as though there is a ATM near our hotel and other associated services. Furthermore, Quepos does not seem as far away as I first thought.

Any other help would be appreciated, especially with diving and fishing.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM

In 9 days in CR, we never needed to change money. Use dollars, then use the money you receive as change.

On the whitewater rafting issue: DO NOT take off your life jacket and helmet, no matter how calm the water seems. The only other person here at work who has been to Costa Rica likes to talk about how he and his new wife "almost died" on their honeymoon in CR. That is because the water was calm, so they took off their life jackets and helmets, then the water got rough, they tipped and it was scary. (Jeez!)
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:50 PM

Usually these hotels have activities listed on their sites. So I checked Buena Vista Villas site, and I guess the easiest thing is to call their 1 800 499 0461 toll free, if you are from the US. It looks like this number is forwarded directly to Costa Rica.