CR for a week in November

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR for a week in November

We are a group of friends looking to rent a house in CR for a week in mid-November 2005. Not looking to move around at all, so are interested in a location that is close to activites and dining. Beach is very important. All suggestions welcome.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Do a search with "beach rentals, Costa Rica" and see what you come up with. There are a number of areas that will offer private villas for rent (4 & 5 bedrooms) for groups. All up and down the Pacific Coast. Tamarindo/Flamingo area is nice, Quepos/Manuel Antonio area excellent as well. Those are the two areas I would target if I were you. Sounds like a good time brewing! Good luck!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:37 AM

Not sure what your budget is to rent a house, but though pricey I can wholeheartedly recommend The March House in Mal Pais.
10 of us stayed in this amazing contemporary house (the price then seems very reasonable and far cheaper than staying at the Flor Blanca nearby), right on the beach, within its own bay. It was pure heaven!The house has 5 amazing bedrooms (4 1/2 baths...gorgeous) and huge living areas. It has a big "rancho" at the beach where we had dinner most evenings (magical!)
We just loved all the sounds and sights that invade your senses (howler monkeys, so much birdlife , you can't believe!)
At the March House we could do as much or as little as we wanted, within total privacy. Had some great fishing fun (caught loads!) with Emilano who took us out and speaks good english.The Canopy Tour (8 platforms) was awesome. Some of the guys rented boards and surfed off the beach at the bottom of the garden (they were good!). Restaurans were'nt bad...the best by far was Mary's only 300 meters from the house.Great atmosphere and there are 2 pool tables to keep you amused whilst waiting for your table.
Anyway, to sum up...
Mal Pais is so beautiful and "Tranquilo" and the March House (www.themarchhouse.com) absolutely stunning. We want to come back to Costa Rica and won't bother going anywhere else!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 02:57 AM

Casa Quinta , which is a part of Hotel Costa Verde in Manuel Antonio would be a good choice ..... The beaches are beautiful ... great dining options .... and as well as Casa Quinta there are numerous other beautiful villas in M.A.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:13 AM

There you go, acktom! The house in MalPais sounds fabulous--and that area is a great place to relax. And, Manuel Antonio (Faithie's recommendation) is a gorgeous area as well. These type of properties abound in Costa Rica. I'd love to get a group of friends together and do that myself sometime!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. The houses are great. Guess I would really like to get a better idea of locales first. For instance, what are the benefits of the central coast ie Quepos/Jaco versus the pennisula ie. Mal Pais. I'm assuming transportation from San Jose is a big issue to consider? Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:25 PM

Manuel Antonio is more built up, but there is a reason for that. The park there is very nice and the beaches are as well. There is a lot to do activity-wise. AND it is a short 3 hour drive from San Jose. For CR, that is short!

MalPais takes about 5 hours from San Jose, but it is nice as well. Very quiet, laid back, stretched out, good for surfing, etc. We like both, but probably prefer MP more.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:25 PM

Forgot to add: if this is your first time, I think I would recommend the Manuel Antonio area. Everyone should go there once!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 12:10 PM

Folks in Costa Rica said that October and November are the months with the most rain. Now it rains from around 3 PM and later but in October it rains all day.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 08:41 PM

dariow,
I heard via e-mail from Percy about your accident. I hope all is well with you. How frightening that must've been! Everyone's worst nightmare. . .we will be extra careful. Your experience serves as a reminder to all of us that there is indeed risk in driving--particularly in CR!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. We have booked a house in MA. www.villalamacha.com
Sounds like it will satisfy everyones needs.
Would love some suggestions on day trips from the area -- volcano, ziplines, cloud jungle. And restaurants. We have staff at the house but will certainly want to go out a few nights. Thanks to all.