CR: Costa Verde v. Tulemar and BdC v Iguana

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR: Costa Verde v. Tulemar and BdC v Iguana

Our trip continues to evolve as we read and discuss more and more. Thank you everyone for your help. We are weighing a couple of hotel options and I am hoping you will chime in with your thoughts for our 13 nights in CR - Parents + 2 kids, 7 and 9:

Arrive SJ: One night @ the Marriott (if we can use our points)
Drive to Arenal: 3 nights @ Lost Iguana
Drive to MA: 4 nights - Trying to decide between Costa Verde and Tulemar (Mot Mot top floor). We want a view and a kitchen and a good location.

At CV, does the Studio plus have a decent kitchen? Which location is better in terms of getting to town, the park, nearest beach?

Leave car and fly to PJ (Still researching flights from Quepos and charter options.)

4 nights The Osa: Trying to decide between BdC and Iguana Lodge - We were set to book BdC and my husband raised some concerns: Our youngest is a lousy hiker, not to mention scared of bugs (and things in general) and a picky eater. He thought being near PJ might give us more options other than hiking. We would be closer to town to grab something to cook if needed and could go on a tour of Corcovada to see that area.

I understand they are completely different experiences, I am hoping you all will be able to provide your thoughts on which place will best "round out our trip." Truth be told I sort of had my heart set on BdC, but don't want to get us into a situation that will be too much of a stretch for our youngest.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

BTW, I am sorry for the duplication. I originally posted this at the end of another long thread and thought I should post anew. I am new and not sure of the protocol.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM

As to the Costa Verde question, the studio plus kitchen was very basic. . .fridge, microwave, a few utensils, sink, just for some snack preparation, I'd say. I wouldn't consider it a kitchen for full blown meals. . .

The kitchen in Costa Verde II (adults only) was larger, more like a regular kitchen. You'd think that kitchen would be better for the section of the hotel that allows children, wouldn't you?

About Bosque del Cabo and trying to be sensitive to your child's stage of development and fears. . .personally, I can't imagine a problem there. The meals offer some choices and I really don't think there will be a problem with that part of it. We didn't see a lot of bugs there--we were very watchful in our room--had a spider one night, that was it. The hiking trails for the most part were gentle (although the Pacific Trail definitely will generate a little huffing and puffing on the way back up!) and the staff (Phillip in particular) does an excellent job of making the guided hikes so very educational and interesting.

Now I've not stayed at Iguana and it sounds fun also. Just can't imagine BdC not being a great place for any and everyone. You know your child best, though. And I certainly see your point about some of the other activity options available down in Puerto Jimenez.

Good luck with your decision. . .you know, either way, it will be a great time for all of you! Any chance you and your husband can get away sometime for BdC? What a great 2nd honeymoon spot! Or 3rd, or 4th. . .
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Something is really pulling me to BdC and I have learned to go with that intuition. I think without ever having been there, it embodies why I want to go to Costa Rica.

The other thing I keep coming back to is that we will have had beach time in MA, so this will be different!

Can you tell me about the location differences with CV and Tulemar?

Was the Studio plus view fabulous... bedy comfy? room clean? What are the grounds like?

Thanks, shillmac for all of your help!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM

I stayed at CV this past May and I must say I was disappointed. Costa Verde has its strong points.... very natural, great view from most of the rooms, less money. However, we were put in a room that had no AC and it was very hot (large, but hot). There were bugs (bathroom and room but not tons and not big ones) and ants streaming down the wall by the kitchenette. It is a good value but not a nice hotel room. I have back issues and the bed was NOT nice (not an typical mattress, 5 in. thick with little support). The room was pretty plain. The pools were not like resort pools (plain and not large)but had good views. I am going to have a wedding in MA in a couple weeks and I have people staying at Tulemar at the suggestion of my wedding planners. Tulemar has their own private beautiful beach and is supposed to be much nicer in terms of room quality. Costa Verde is on the main road with restaurants and stores near by. Tulemar is a little more out of the way but most places in MA are only 5 to 10 minute by taxi (which are very convenient and aren't expensive).

After our wedding we are flying from Quepos to PJ. We researched all the options and they are as follows: Drive (6 hours plus on bad roads and was not recommended to us), Charter a private flight which starts at 1000 dollars, or your only other option was to fly to SJ and then to PJ (which we ended up doing for time and cost). I Nature Air and Sansa both do flights there I believe. I also believe there is a bus route you can use but with a child I don't would be a viable option.
We are also staying at BdC as we have been told by everyone that it is by far one of the best places in Costa Rica much less Osa. They have many activities available including surfing lessons which we are planning on doing.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:30 AM

Haven't stayed at Tulemar or Iguana Lodge, so can only weight in on Costa Verde & Bosque del Cabo.

For what CV charged vs. Tulemar, I was happy at CV. The studio plus rooms have incredible views. The kitchens are just as faithie says, you could fry some eggs, make sandwiches etc, nothing too complex. There are 2 restaurants on site, the grounds are well-kept. The Costa Verde II bldg has no A/C or tv, the other bldgs do. Never had a problem with bugs or the beds.

I don't think your son would have a problem with bugs there, it's a once in a lifetime place. But to be honest that isn't to say you won't have bugs in your room, I have in the past but as I'm pretty freaked out by bugs it hasn't kept me from going back. In May (maybe other times too I don't know) I know the termites can get bad, but that's only if you leave your lights on around 5pm til about 7pm. There are things you can do to minimize bugs....no food, keep your lights off as much as possible, invite a lizard in to stay the night, etc. I don't think the eating issue will be a big deal there, they are really good about working with you on that. I think all of these places are good so you really can't go wrong.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM

I'd say go w/ Tulemar...you won't regret having the private beach on the property there. the top level of Mot Mot is great. Has a great view, a great deck, and a usuable kitchen. Grill on the deck as well.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:50 AM

ESPECIALLY since you have kids...you won't have to keep tabs on them at Tulemar beach as much as you would at the public beach at Manuel Antonio. They also have free snokeling equipment, boogie boards, and sea kayaks for you to use...it's a blast paddling out in one. The beach is located in a protected cove, so there are no riptides.

Trust me, you won't regret Tulemar.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM

BdC has plenty of choices for kids and if you have a really really picky eater just let them know. They might add an extra jar of peanut butter to the pantry if they will eat that. Haven't met a kid yet that didn't like pancakes. The BdC banana pancakes are wonderful. Maureen gets a little creative for dinner but there is usually something for people who aren't sure of what they are eating. She is a wonderful chef and I am always pleasantly surprised at how good those foreign foods can taste when prepared by someone good. I have been going back for years so it can't be that bad.

Iguana Lodge has good food as well. Jose was a chef at Lapa Rios. The Pearl of the Osa (their place next door) has more north american style things like burgers and fries, and club sandwiches as well as some typical CR foods. One option would be to maybe arrange for a day tour to Puerto Jimenez and stop in. You will need to take a taxi out there from PJ. The Pearl is public so you can buy lunch there and possibly ask Toby or Lauren for a tour of Iguana just to see it.

We did a kayak tour from Bosque and had lunch at the Pearl one year. I have stayed at both their places (Iguana and the Pearl) several times as well.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I have spent hours talking about the trip. We are having so much fun and I am thrilled that he is into the planning as much as I am. That is not usually the case!

We have chosen:
Marriott near SJ (Yuck, but using our points will allow us to splurge elsewhere.)
Lost Iguana
Tulemar
Bosque del Cabo

We will rent with Tricolor: Husband is certain he wants to drive SJ - Arenal - MA.

Now we are just researching getting from MA to BdC. How far of a drive is it from MA to SJ? If we get an early start, is it reasonable to return the rental car, get to Nature Air in time for an afternoon flight? We are trying to avoid staying in SJ a night in the middle .

Thanks again everyone for chiming in!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM

I might've missed this but when are you going? For much of the year you can fly btwn Quepos & PJ. Not sure if they post that on their site though. Best bet would be to email Leo or Jose at BdC and ask them if possible, they can make all the arrangements and you just pay them at BdC.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM

I think your kids would have a better time at Los Lagos in Arenal than Lost Iguana. The water slides and naturally heated pools are a blast.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

tully: We are going the last two weeks in November. May not be the best weather. There is a slim chance we could move the trip to the first two weeks in December. That is not the best for us but might be possible. Would the weather be that much different?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

We are also interested in hearing from those of you who have stayed at BdC, which deluxe cabina should we request? There are 4 of us: 2 adults, 2 kids and we are hoping for a wonderful view Suggestions?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:52 AM

campjulie I would definitely contact Leo at BdC about a Quepos-SJ flight, it sure would save you some time. Though as of yet Sansa doesn't even have schedules up for my trip in May so you may have to wait a little while.

I'm partial but I think the best view is from Lapa. Next would be Congo & Marisposa. These 3 have porches plus decks, but they wouldn't hold 4 (unless the kids sleep in the hammocks! ) But I don't mean the others don't have great views, just not the decks. I walked around in all the cabinas one day when I found myself the only guest for a few hours at least. I get all the names mixed up but I remember liking La Paz, Gecko & Palma (Palmira? Something like that) The latter 2 have lofts and would hold the 4 of you.

Not really sure about the weather Nov vs Dec, I always go in May. Sure someone here knows.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

tully / shillmac / others: Leonardo just emailed me that the Deluxe Cabina "Toucan" has a loft with two single beds. Do you remember seeing that one by any chance? View? He said it had just been remodeled into a deluxe.
He has been so helpful. Just emailed some picures for my kids. Told me he has a 7 year old. Does he live on the property? I am really curious about Toucan, but don't want to bug him!

Well, we are booked at Lost Iguana (3 nights), Tulemar (Mot Mot - 4 nights) and Bosque del Cabo (4 nights) - There are so many other places that we want to see but I think this will be a good first trip to CR. I have been reading so many trip reports, this seems like a good fit for my family with young kids!

Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Oh go for it! That's the one that they working on then when I was there last. It had been completely torn down and one day Kim asked if it was okay for Phil to come by and take measurements from my cabina, Mariposa. She was saying it was going to be a mix of a couple different ones but based on Mariposa mostly as they felt that had the best layout.

All of the cabinas have wonderful views from the decks, just not all have patios. But really all of them I looked out from I would've been happy with. I'd definitely go for it!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM

I'm having trouble getting in touch with Tulemar -- it's been a couple of days and no response.

Did you send your Credit Card info the first time you contacted them? I left that blank since I don't even know if they have a room available on my dates so I'm wondering if they're not taking my request seriously.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:44 AM

If only a couple days I'd give them a couple more then follow-up with an e-mail. Many places in CR can take a few days to get back to you.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:48 AM

I just want to give you some additional information about the loft cabins at BdC. We stayed in La Palma for 2 nights and while there is a loft making it nice for kids, please be aware of two things. 1. There is no mosquito netting for the beds in the loft - we didn't need the netting for mosquitoes but for sleeping better knowing a bug won't land on us while we are in bed. There are some VERY large grasshoppers (found one each night). and 2. The cabins have large openings at the top of the roof to allow air to get through (openings like 3ftx4ft if I was to guess) - this does allow for the potential of animals/bugs/bats to come in. We had a small bat come in one morning and the couple before us staying in the cabin had a baby possum in the loft. In each case nothing harmful or traumatic - but you are in the rainforest.

Given your child's concerns, you could probably ask them to add netting around one of the beds. But they are not going to be able to do anything about the roof openings.

Someday I'll post pictures (having some glitches)...

That said, the bug/snake count was much less than expected. Two small snakes along the path (8-12" garden variety), 2 grasshoppers inside the cabin (or the same one that was persistant), and 2 small geckos on the wall in the cabin. You will see large spiders along/across the trails but completely avoidable.

Not meaning to scare you off of BdC because it is just fabulous and in the top 3 places we ever went (and we travel extensively!) - but I want to make sure you prepare your children. Either that or they get the king size bed downstairs and you get the loft (ha!!)

By the way, Philip is a fabulous teacher especially if you show interest, curiousity, and excitement over what you are experiencing. We don't have kids, but I noticed the staff making extra special efforts to make sure the children were accomodated.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,
Again, thank you for all of the helpful insight. Locolowe: I appreciated your comments about the cabinas at BdC. I have emailed them and what do you know? The upstairs beds now have mosquito netting! That bit of reassurance has been helpful. I think the kids will feel secure behind the netting. In addition, my younger daughter's class is studying rain forests and all of the cool living creatures there including the COOL bugs. She has not bought the program entirely but we are getting there! Couldn't have asked for better help.
November seems so far off. I am going to have to be content reading trip reports until we go.

I will certainly be online to ask for help with other details as the trip draws nearer. As for now: hotels, air and car are booked. I am renewing passports and collecting information!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -