Search

CR books in Spanish for new library

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR books in Spanish for new library

Hi all,

Have been talking via e-mail with Heidi at Casa Siempre Domingo down at Pavones and asked about bringing things for the kids. She told me they just built a library and really needs books. The 6 of us want to take
some, along with school supplies. (Heidi and her husband work with both the schools.)

Anyone know a reasonably priced source for children's books in Spanish? I've tried "googling", and usually have great success with that, but I'm not doing it right or something. I haven't been able to find much.

I'm going to ask the hostess at out favorite local Mexican restaurant when we go there next time. She's really sweet - has been helping us practice our Spanish - and I hope she'll know a local source. But being up in the Florida panhandle, where our Latino population is growing, but not yet as large as many other areas, I'm afraid my choices might be limited.

I know some of you are teachers and others have gone on mission trips, so I'm hoping there's a wealth of untapped info out there. Anything on school supplies is also welcome.

Leaving in less than a month and getting more excited by the day.

Fran
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

It's me again, guys.

Any ideas? I almost got 32 new childrens' books on Ebay but was outbid at the last second (almost literally). Trying to get with the seller to arrange something, but could use other ideas.

Tonight we saw the restaurant hostess I mentioned. She told me there isn't any place but Barnes and Nobles or Books a Million here locally. I really need an Internet site so my money will go farther and I have just over 3 weeks to get this together.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Fran

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM

fran not sure if you've seen this one but I found http://www.thereadingtub.com/search_foreign.asp they have several used ones thru amazon & barnes&noble for $3-$5.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tully.

I'll check into them.

I've also contacted a couple of sellers on Ebay who have a substantial number of Spanish language books and asked about putting together an order for a variety of books covering a wide age range.

With 6 of us going we'll have plenty of room for books. Each of us packs pretty light and everyone had planned to bring an empty bag for taking home coffee and other goodies. Instead of packing that inside our main bag, we can fill it with books and such. I'm hoping we'll be able to get plenty to take down with us.

Fran
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to put out an update.

I've managed to successfully bid on 36 books on eBay to take with us to Pavones. And I think it's a nice variety of fiction and non-fiction covering a wide range of ages.

Tom (DH) says once get there we can see what their set-up is for the library and what they need. Then we'll know what we can do to help them out further.

Tully, I checked-out that site you mentioned and have bookmarked it for when we get back. I'm still trying to find out where all these people who sell on eBay and at the other sites are buying in big lots. If anyone has any idea how to do that, please let me know.

Now that's I'm not haunting eBay looking for books I can finish getting my act together for our trip. May 9th is fast approaching.

Fran