CR- Arenal, then MA or Guanacaste?

Jan 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

CR- Arenal, then MA or Guanacaste?

I am so confused. There are too many options. What are your thoughts on Guanacaste in March? My son is in San Ramon for a year and has traveled the country some. Says MA is great but touristy. When we mentioned Malpais/Sta. Teresa his comment was that the surf was too much for our 18yo to begin on. He said that the Nosara/Samara area was nice. Also, if we fly into Liberia, would Playa Hermosa area be better? May want to go sport fishing along with beach time. Time frame is 8days/9nights.
Thanks
Jan 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Guanacaste in March is very hot and dry!
If youre flying into Liberia, Playa Hermosa is a nice beach, 30 mins drive from the airport with good sportfishing available locally:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html

Mal Pais has a big surf as does Nosara, Samara is generally calm except later in the afternnon when the waves pick up but no problem for any good swimmer!
Jan 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. A travel agent suggested that Guanacaste may be too hot and windy at that time of year. Hence, we started thinking about MA. Our main dilemma is whether we should go to MA or Guanacaste. We can fly into either place. We thought that we would stay in Arenal 3 days so that we can do the PureTrek rappelling, hanging bridges, and whitewater rafting for sure. Also possible is the horseback trip to Monteverde. Is this something that is good? Also, what about the Cano Negra trip? Are the beaches about the same? Have heard that Playa Grande is very nice. What trips should we take from this area?

Thanks
Jan 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM

your travel agent is right!
Id do Manuel Antonio, Greener!:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/photos...nio/index.html

It takes a day to get from Arenal La Fortuna to Monteverde by horseback. Id skip Monteverde with the short time you have!
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Our TA also suggested the Club del Mar. This sounds like a nice place but is it too close to Jaco? When I mentioned this to my son, he said we don't want to be anywhere near Jaco. Would it be better to go ahead and drive the extra 2 hours to MA and stay there?
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Go to MA. It's beautiful!
Jan 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM

stay way from Jaco and go to MA, worth the drive!
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Yes, too many options and it CAN get confusing. Guanacaste in March is hot, dry and windy and it's where I go and when I go. Manual Antonio can be more humid and IS touristy. The surf in Malpais is not for beginners, maybe Tamarindo or Playa Grande would be better. Sport fishing is good in Playa Hermosa (near Liberia) Flamingo and Nosara. Fly into Liberia if you can to go to Arenal and Pacific beaches. Much easier airport to get through.