Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   CR air travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cr-air-travel-484691/)

dps Nov 6th, 2004 07:27 PM

CR air travel

We are arriving in Costa Rica on Nov. 13th at 7:10 a.m. at San Jose Airport. Does anyone out there know if we have enough time to make a 8:30 a.m. flight to Tambor out of Tobias Bolanos Airport?? Everything else is booked, and our hotel reservations in Mal Pais (our final destination) are set, and we can't get out of them without incurring a loss.

shillmac Nov 7th, 2004 05:08 AM

Have not flown domestic, but your time sounds too close to me. It will take you at least 30 minutes to get out of the SJO airport (very likely a bit longer depending on whether you have to wait at baggage claim or wait in a long line at immigration). Your domestic flight will want you to be on site 30 minutes or so in advance, although I doubt they are very strict about that. You'll need to take a taxi to Tobias Bolonas (another 20 minutes?).

You might make it, you might not. Problem is, you are starting your vacation in Costa Rica already concerned about a tight time schedule--not the best way to experience the country! Will there be other flights out to Tambor later in the day? If so, relax and plan on finding an interesting way to spend the extra time!

shillmac Nov 7th, 2004 05:15 AM

NatureAir (is that the service you are using?) mentions a 45 minute drive from SJO to Pavas airport--not the 20 minutes I guessed. It's about 20 minutes from SJO airport to San Jose, and then another 20 minutes or so to Pavas. Also looks like there is an 11:30 a.m. flight as well. You'll be okay!

dps Nov 7th, 2004 07:31 AM

Hi Shillmac,

We were hoping you'd respond to our query--you were so helpful the last time!!

The problem is we were booked on earlier flights, but ended up having to delay our trip by a week because of an expired passport. Sansa Air and Nature Air are completely booked up on Saturday now, except for Nature Air's 8:30 a.m. flight. We'd stay a night in San Jose, but if we cancel our hotel reservations, we're out $$. As it is, we've had to split where we're staying (2 nights at Milarepa, 2 nights at Tropico Latino; 4 nights at Bosque del Cabo) because of availability.

So...I think we're going to buy the tickets and give it a shot. We're carrying our luggage on the plane, we upgraded to first class so we'll be first off the plane, and hopefully there won't be too much traffic at that hour of the morning. If it doesn't work out, we'll head for the ferry and call the whole thing an adventure. :)

shillmac Nov 7th, 2004 07:36 AM

I see. Sounds good. Just so long as you are able to think Pura Vida if things don't work out as you'd like them to! I'll bet if you arrive at the airport in Pavas even last minute, they'll let you on. Our daughters had an experience like that a few years ago, and they were able to board. BTW, the ferry is fun as well--just time consuming. Have a great trip, and don't forget to post when you get back!

Jessie_ Nov 7th, 2004 11:03 AM

I fly Nature Air frequently and the fastest I have made it to the TB airport from Alajuela is about 30 mins. You will be trying to get there at an extremely busy time of day. It took us about 20 mins last year to get off the plane (international flight)in SJO, through immigration and out the door. We were on a full wide bodied plane but had seats fairly near the front behind first and business. There will be plenty of taxi drivers ready to wisk you away. With you being even closer to the exit, you should get out of the airport even quicker. Have your running shoes on as it is a fairly long walk from the plane to the immigration area. It will seem so anyway.

There is a very slight possiblity you will make it and I am sure we will all keep our fingers crossed for you. Hopefully traffic will be similar there as it is here and there will be that 8-9:00am lull. Hopefully also, the TB flight will be running on latin american time (late) at least by a few minutes.

Glad to see that you have a plan B and are prepared to take a missed flight in stride. You are half way there to experiencing full Pura Vida. I am sure with your open minds you will experience it in full by the time your trip is over.

Buen Viaje

Latitude9Lisa Nov 7th, 2004 01:23 PM

OUCH! This is a tough question but as previously stated ... it'll be close! As Jessie said, 30 minutes is the best scenario to Bolanos BUT you're traveling on a Saturday, maybe this is a plus in your favor. You might also offer an "incentive" to your driver for "rapido" service (be prepared to be driven on the shoulder of the road!) Additionally, if your driver has a cell phone, politely ask him to call the NatureAir terminal (you'll need to provide the phone #) to advise of your arrival time. If they know you're on your way, they might "wait" the plane for you. We've done this on several occasions and it's worked for us. Even if they advise enroute you are too late, at least you'll be prepared for Game Plan #2 that much earlier. Good luck and safe travels! PS: You have a great Pura Vida attitude =) !!!!

Lisa in M. Antonio

dps Nov 11th, 2004 06:33 PM

Thanks for all the great words of wisdom! We definitely have the Pura Vida attitude and a good thing too. Our hotel for the first two days emailed us today and said they'd given our room to a party that is already there and wants to extend their stay. Say what?? After a very patient (on our part) phone call to them, they emailed us an hour later and gave us a better cabina.

A beach and a cocktail and a sunset are looking better all the time.

shillmac Nov 12th, 2004 04:09 AM

Buen Viaje, dps! You'll have a great time! For any little thing that doesn't pan out, there will be 10 times more that will make up for it. Anxious to hear from you upon your return. Pura Vida!