Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   CR 1st week of December? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cr-1st-week-of-december-469197/)

sclubb Aug 23rd, 2004 06:19 AM

CR 1st week of December?

Hi all - I am still debating on whether or not to book the great rate on Taca from Dulles to CR - especially considering we were just in CR in July. But, will the 1st week of December be a good time to visit and will it still be green in the Guanacaste region since we'd be just after the rainy season? Also - has anyone heard anything about the new Casa Caletas in Hermosa? It looks really nice...but would love more feedback. Was thinking our next trip could be Finca Que Ama, Monteverde & Manuel Antonio, but just saw this new place in Hermosa that makes me think again about the Manuel Antonio portion.

Has anyone taken Taca connection flights through El Salvador to San Jose? Was it a decent experience?

Thanks for the help - you all helped so much in my 1st trip! Can't say this one is going to happen since I haven't even talked to my husband yet about the idea - but we're always up for good deals!

mat629 Aug 23rd, 2004 07:41 AM

Sclubb,
Do you mean Playa Hermosa in Northern Guanacaste? I ask because apparently there are a few beaches by that name...
We were in Playa Hermosa last week. The beach is nice and wide, and the sunset was marvelous. That said, it was not my favorite beach in Coast Rica. I haven't been to Manual Antonio, but based on all the pictures I've seen, I think the beaches there look much prettier. Hermosa has a fine dark grey sand that feels a little more silt-like when walking. The water is fairly dark as a result, although past the wave breaks it is still clear. Nothing like the green color I saw further south. The waves while we were there were very small, virtually nonexistent and therefore good for swimming. There isn't much of a town, mostly hotels and eateries and a mini-super. I don't know as far as activities nearby...
I have several photos I can scan if you'd like.
In all fairness, I should say that we were only here for a day, but I don't think anything I've described would change too much.

shillmac Aug 23rd, 2004 09:27 AM

Sclubb--1st week of December would be an excellent time to visit. Yes, Guanacaste should still be beautiful. Let us know what you decide to do! DO try to visit Neta and Arbel at La Finca.

trevorjoyce Aug 23rd, 2004 10:55 AM

this is trevor. and i am not totally sure if this is the same connecting airport that you are talking about..but i will double check. but we did hear some things about it, that it's like what you see in the movies. the army with machine guns all over the place. Just not the most pleasent airport. i am not 100% sure, will double check!

sclubb Aug 23rd, 2004 11:46 AM

Actually, I was wrong - the place is in Coyote - north of Mal Pais. It looks really charming. Very small & just opened early this year. I think we may have to pass on the possibility of going in early December, but I am still going to see about trying to make this work. I just have a hard time passing up such a great deal (air $189 per person!!!) Never heard of such a great rate before!