Reload this Page >

cozumel- which beach is right for me

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 03:56 AM
cathy

arriving via cruise ship with 7 hours in port. <BR> <BR>I have read a lot about the beaches, but haven't hit the one that seems right for me. <BR> <BR>here's what I'm looking for: <BR>1 Doesn't have all of the 2000 other passengers going to it - last day of the cruise and I'm sure I'd like some "alone" time. <BR>2 Large enough beach not to feel crowded and to walk about <BR>3 Bar(s) close by or on the beach to cool off with a margarita or 2,3,... <BR>4 chairs/umbrellas to rent <BR>5 Hammocks to rent/use a MUST <BR> <BR>I don't need, but it's ok to have: <BR>1 place to snorkel <BR>2 large area to swim, just to walk in up to knees or waist - cool off area <BR> <BR> <BR>Any suggestions would be appreciated. <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:13 AM
Texrobin

Dzu Ha on the West side of the island has everything you mentioned. I don't think it's one of the places cruz ships recommend unless you are taking a suba or snuba trip. If you really want to get away though, I highly recommend renting a car and driving to the east side of the island. You can walk for miles on the beach and there are about 5 excellent beach clubs/bars for you to go to. My favorite is Coconuts and Chen Rio (sp?). I wouldn't recommend snorkeling on the east side though. Water is pretty rough and strong current. Anyway, the east side is the "non-populated" portion of the island is is sooooo beautiful!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 01:57 PM
mexicodan

I would rent a scooter as soon as you get off the boat (right downtown) and head due East. Stop at the mayan ruin of San Gervasio enroute to the East side beaches of Cozumel. <BR> <BR>Adios! <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR>www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:52 AM
Mariarosa

Cathy, whenever the cruise ships come to town, it is HARD to get away from the cruise ship passengers. When we were ther in December, there was 1 day when there were 7 cruise ships and Cozumel is not that big of an island! <BR> <BR>By all means avoid Chankanaab Park. It has a nice beach but it will be very crowded. Also avoid the big "beach clubs" like Sol. <BR> <BR>A previous poster mentioned Dzul Ha - but I don't think that's what you are looking for, because they do not have a beach (only a deck over the water). <BR> <BR>I think your best choice is to rent a car (make sure you reserve in advance). Some of the companies can meet you at the pier. Then with your car you have the flexibility of driving. I suggest going to one of the smaller beach clubs, which are actually on the beach, like Punta Francesca (which is all the way on the south part of the island). A cab ride would cost you about $14 each way. When you get tired of Punta Francesca (or another of the beach clubs), drive to the east side of the island. The problem with the east side and the good part of it is that it has little development - there's no electricity, so there aren't any beach clubs that can rent you chairs/umbrellas. But it will be the least crowded part of the island. You can't really get too far in the water (because of rip tides)...but the whole east side has a wide, sandy beach - great for lounging and taking long walks. There are a handful of bars/restaurants on the east side sereving cold drinks and seafood. We really liked the east side - and because it's kind of an expensive taxi ride (and you have to coordinate with a taxi for pick-up) it's the area least crowded with cruise ship passengers.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:06 AM
cathy

thank you all for your suggestions! Just what I was hoping for.