Cozumel Restaurants

Oct 5th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Cozumel Restaurants

My family and I (4 Adults) will be traveling to the Riviera Maya the week of 10/24/04-10/31/04. We will be making a day trip to Cozumel. I would like to receive recommendations on restaurants for lunch. We went last year and had a very enjoyable day, part of which included lunch at Pancho's Backyard. We would like to try a different place this time. Has anyone been to Los Gavilanes Grill?

Thanks for your time in responding.
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:53 AM
TC

I have been to Los Gavilanes. It doesn't have nearly the character (garden decor) as Pancho's. I'm not sure its open for lunch either. We like to have lunch at Casa Denis - across from the open air market on the back side of the main square. The food is good and the waiters are a lot of fun. It is nowhere near the "upscale" of Pancho's though. Many of the nicer places are only open in the evening. Otherewise, try spending the day at one of the inclusive beaches like Nachi CoCom. They have good food and a great beach. If you tell me a bit more about your likes or what type of place you are looking for, I can help more.
Oct 8th, 2004, 05:21 AM

I agree with the recommendation of Casa
Denis--it is liked by tourists and locals. I often dine with locals on the back patio at Casa Denis.
My favorite restaurant is LaCocay--but they have been closed to move to a new location. I understand from the owner that they will be opening for lunch--but I am not certain of the date.
Oct 8th, 2004, 05:56 AM
TC

Hey, Robert; Where is LaCoCay's new location? Its one of our favorite special occcassion restaurants in Cozumel. Kathy is so sweet and Rob is a great chef. Do you think they'll be open again by Feb? Is El Turix still in that building?
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:23 AM

I saw Kathy at the Charlotte airport and she told me they should be open in November. (I will let you know after my next trip)
I can't remember the street number but the new restaurant is on the street that runs beside Cinco Soles--and about 2 blocks inland. They are very close to the Manatee restaurant, if you are familiar with that.
I, too, am anxious for them to reopen. In my opinion, they have few equals on the island.
Oct 9th, 2004, 02:08 PM

To answer TC, I thought I read somewhere that El Turix closed. Does anyone know for certain?
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:51 AM

La Cocay's new location will be on 8th street between 10 & 15 Av. And the opening is now expected to be sometime in December.
Oct 11th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Thanks for CozAnnie's info. Anxious for La Cocay to open. Sounds like the opening is a bit later than Kathy had thought--but guess that should come as no surprise!
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:59 AM
TC

Don't tell me that El Turix has closed! It is truly one of our very favorite restuarants and has been for many years. Who knows for sure?
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:34 AM

As far as I know, this has nothing to do with El Turix--only La Cocay has moved to a new location. El Turix was still there when I last passed--but this has been sometime back since La Cocay was closed.