Reload this Page >

Cozumel:Rental car or taxis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 01:48 PM
Dick Hambridge

We are going to Cozumel on April 4th and we're trying to decide if the convenience of having a rental car is worth it(?)-or are the taxis, with their reasonable regulated fares, the way to go(?). We are staying at the Presidente Inter-Continental.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 07:05 PM
eric

I just returned from playa del carmen and took a one day trip to cozumel. We rented a car while we were there and found it to be great to explore the island. The east side of the island is beautiful and it is easy to find beautiful deserted beaches. I heard it is possible to get a taxi tour of the island, but that seems weird to me to have the driver wait while you hangout on the beaches. Some of the more popular areas will have cabs waiting at them, but more remote places you will need your own car. Beware of the cars however. We rented from a National car rental rep on the ferry over and he ended up giving us a car from a local agency. The car had broken door handles, see through holes in the floor, no lights (which made us make a mad rush to get back to town before sunset). I would recommend getting a car for at least a couple of days while in cozumel. I don't know if you need one the whole time you are there as there are plenty of taxis. Also make sure you get the car from the actual agency and not on the ferry.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 04:09 AM
Shell

Dick, Eric's information is right on. Renting a car for the entire time you're there isn't really necessary. I stayed at the Presidente in September, and there were always taxis on hand, although I can't tell you exactly how much they cost to get to town -- around $4-$6 -- because we happened to rent a car for the week. Although taxi rates are set for certain zones, make certain you agree on the price BEFORE you get in. When you do rent a vehicle to visit the other side of the island, do yourself a favor and try to negotiate for a new vehicle. Until this latest trip, every vehicle we've ever rented has been exactly like Eric said: no windshield wipers, broken handles, locks, windows, no headlights, etc. We happened to get a 1999 GEO Tracker this last time and we were ecstatic to find that the brakes and windshield wipers actually worked. To give you an idea on price, we paid about $225 for the Tracker for the week (but we got a travel agent discount). Daily rates are usually somewhere around $50.

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 05:26 AM
vdamick

Just got back from a week in Cozumel and I'd say rent a car--you have more freedom and the island is easy enough to get around. We found the taxi drivers to be quite indifferent to us---neither friendly or rude--just indifferent. Taxi's are cheap, however we liked the freedom of having our own car. Its too far to walk from the Presidente to town. <BR>The cars we rented were totally stripped out--no radio, no a/c, no buttons/controls-they even took out the 4WD---no windows, and usually no roof---the VW bug we rented had a removable soft top which was handy because during the day the sun is hot! Looking around, that seemed to be the norm in rental cars. <BR> <BR>Not alot of shade on the island, so be sure to pack the sunscreen and hats and plenty of t-shirts. <BR>Beware of all the folks who will try to entice you into a time-share presentation. They are everywhere and quite persistant. In town, in front of the hotels--they will offer you a rental car for $10/day for 1 day if you come listen to their pitch.

Old Apr 3rd, 1999, 07:08 PM
Jack Duncan

<BR>I've been to Cozumel a dozen times over the last ten years. There is no reason to rent a car unless you want to go to the far side of the island. Taxis are everywhere and cheap. Go eat at El Moro in residential area. good luck. Jack Duncan

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 05:38 PM
Shell

Shell <BR> <BR>Where did you rent your 1999 Geo!? <BR> <BR>Jane <BR> <BR>[email protected]

Old May 26th, 1999, 02:57 PM
Dick Hambridge

I am responding to my own message for those that are going to Cozumel. We rented a VW convert. while there from Smart Car Rentals(located in the town square), arranged through the internet, for $24.00/day. It wasn't brand new(!) but it served its purpose and was convenient. Don't buy the insurance if you have a gold/plat.credit card that covers international rentals(mine did and I took a copy to show them). Watch the jerks at the gas stations, though, if they notice you aren't looking they will start pumping gas without resetting from the last customer and you'll get wacked in the wallet !!!