Cozumel in June 2009 Shopping/travel tips needed

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cozumel in June 2009 Shopping/travel tips needed

I'm taking a cruise in June that will stop in Cozumel. I'd like to shop for local arts & crafts. I also want to know if the Tulum Mayan Ruins is something I should pay for the shore excursion to do or is it better to rent a taxi and do it on my own? And is it worth seeing? Or would I be better off snorkeling? We'll only have one day there and I want to make it "count". Any advice?
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM

The Tulum ruins are in Tulum. So if you are on a cruise in Cozumel, you would need to take a ferry over to Playa del Carmen, and then rent a car for the trip (which I think is about 72 km and way too expensive for a taxi)? You will likely have time to do the Tulum trip *or* to explore Cozumel with shopping and such...doubt you will have time for both.

You can find a large assortment of crafts from Mexico at Cinco Soles located at Melgar & Calle 8. I would not eat at the attached restaurant (Panchos Backyard), though.

The forums at trip advisor are very active for Cozumel - you may want to head over there.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM
TC

Cinco Soles is the best "one stop" shopping for arts and crafts. Other good shops are Mi Casa or Viva Mexico -- all on the main waterfront street.

There is an ancient man and woman who make and sell beautiful woven baskets and toys on the street. They aren't hard to spot, usually sitting near the main square. Their craft is excellent quality.

Another fun local item is one of the string hammock chairs. They are easy to carry home and so comfortable. Just be sure to sit in the chair you buy as they vary quite a lot in style and comfort.

Good silver jewelry shopping is at Cinco Soles or Silver Emporium. The silver is high quality and the prices are fair without haggling all day.

The grocery stores are the best places to buy vanilla or other food items -- such as Mexican chocolate or spices. We always buy Mafer-brand lime crusted peanuts to bring home. They are to die for!

Instrumentales Musicales at the corner of Juarez and Avenida 15. The specialty here is musical instruments from all over Mexico.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM

TC, I read in another thread of your "things to do" list while in Cozumel. Would you please email me copy? I am taking my extended family there June 1 for 8 days of fun and diving and to celebrate my 60th birthday. This will be our second trip there, but last time was about 1990. Really looking forward to the fun! Thanks for your help!

[email protected]