Reload this Page >

Cozumel - any info appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 09:12 AM
Tracey

After a lot of researching, my husband and I have decided to spend our vacation in Cozumel. We are going on August 14th, and staying at the Presidente Inter-Continental. I know it is somewhat far from the town, but we will probably be renting a Jeep so we don't mind that. We avoided an all-inclusive because we like to discover new restaurants. Any suggestions on restaurants in San Miguel? What about food safety? We would like to visit some of the ruins, and possibly take a day trip into Cancun, so any suggestions on these ideas would also be appreciated. We have snorkeled, and are looking forward to that, but don't have any experience with scuba diving. If we hook up with the dive team at the hotel, will be able to get certified? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for any info. <BR>Tracey <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 03:48 PM
Michel

Yesterday I returned from a dive trip in Cozumel. If you become certified before your trip, check out Aqua Safari, a dive operation. They were highly recommended to us and we were very pleased with their operation! (www.aquasafari.com). You might want to check with them also about classes. Possibly you could do your classroom instruction in your home town, then do your certification dives in Cozumel. <BR> <BR>One afternoon we snorkeled right off of our hotel pier and were surprised at the multitudes of fish that we saw; however, I wouldn't recommend a trip to Cozumel for a non-diver. Cozumel does not have an abundance of beaches and depending on the location of your hotel, you may have to drive to one. <BR> <BR>While in Cancun we rented a car ($40/day) and drove to see the ruins in Tulum. Later that afternoon we drove up to Akumal to snorkle a bit more. From what I understand, Tulum may not be as impressive as Chichen Itza, but it is right on the water and is an easy trip from Cancun! There are also ruins on Cozumel which you might also want to check out! <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 04:54 AM
Bart

Tracy, Cozumel is a fun place. El Presedente is probably the best hotel. You are smart to avoid the all-inclusive as there are many fine restaurants in San Miguel- Primo's, Ernesto's Fajita Factory( a fun nite), Th eLobster House. My son and I were there for diving in early june and it's the most economical vacation ever. We're plannong our next trip there now. August will be HOT. As the above suggested, I recommend getiing your class & confined water complete and do your 4 open water dives in Coz. This will save you some valuable time on your vacation. You would miss too much of the beauty of the reefs by doing a resort dive in Cozumel. The diving is some of the easiest in the world but I don't think operators would take resort divers on the walls. <BR>If you want to get a lot of good info regarding Coz, check out www.aldora.com. It's a web site for IMHO the best dive operation in Cozumel. They rate hotels , restuarants and diving. If you have any more specific questions e-mail me. <BR> <BR> <BR>Bart

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 11:09 AM
Wendy

My husband and I are planning our second trip to Cozumel for this November. Last year we went in August and it was very warm (but tolerable). Neither of us dive but we did take a day trip to snorkel. The food there is great. We went with another couple (the wife happened to be pregnant) and no one got sick from the water or the food. Just be sure and drink bottled water and brush with it also. We visited the ruins on the island last year and weren't very impressed. I've heard that the one's at Tulum (sp?) are much better. Hope you have a great time!!

Old Oct 23rd, 1998, 08:27 AM
laura

We loved the Cafe Museo in the Cozumel museum for breakfast. For 2.99 you get a great breakfast and a great view from the rooftop veranda. The staff is great too. E-mail me if you would like more info on Cozumel. <BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 1998, 11:10 PM
Alan

Pizza Rolandi is a great restaurant along the main street, you've got to go they have a beautiful patio. Food in the main restauarants is all safe. There are some small ruins on the island, but i'd suggest a day trip to Tulum on the mainland. It's beautiful there. The El Presidente is a nice hotel with a great beach.