Cozamel Late February

Jul 26th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Gail

Cozamel Late February

I plan on going to Cozamel on the 17th of February, will the water be too cool to swim in and if so, will it be warm enough to use the pools at a resort.

Is it warmer at that time of the year in a different part of Mexico?

Any suggestions where to stay with my husband and 7 year old in Mexico that is great for the beach?

Jul 31st, 2000, 10:47 AM
Shell

Gail, I've been to Cozumel February through October now and I can definitely say that the winter months are too cold for truly enjoyable swimming. We normally go anywhere from April through August, and I thought April was a bit nippy. This past Feb/March, we went for Carnival, and I was really shocked at how cold the water was -- around 77 degrees. It reminded me of Lake Erie in the middle of summer back in Ohio -- and that never really warms up. The pools were the same story, as none are heated. Maybe I'm spoiled by the warm summer months, but I just returned a couple of weeks ago and the water was fantastic -- low 80s.

Jul 31st, 2000, 08:02 PM
dmotl

Went to Cozumel in late Jan and found the water comfortable. Everything is a matter of opinion as high 70,s water is warm in my opinion.
Did Hawiian Islands in Feb a while back and that was truly cold water.
Actually we do 15 days in late Nov and 15 days in late March and don't feel a whole lot of differance in water temps. However, we usually go to Isla Mujeres which has shallower and maybe a little bit warmer beachs.

Aug 10th, 2000, 10:57 PM
SoCalGirl

70 degrees "cold"?!? Wow, neither of you have never been to the beach in southern California I take it. We're lucky if the water gets just above 60 degrees during the summer.

Sep 26th, 2000, 11:42 AM
tc

We spend every February in Cozumel and would not call the water cold. The only time the water is cooler is if a storm has passed through the island. Swimming in the ocean is always going to be cooler than a heated pool. But the average water temp in Cozumel is the same as the rest of the Carribbean. We're headed to Belize prior to Cozumel this year. The water temp is the same even though Belize is quite a bit farther south.

Its true the pools are not heated, but the sun is so hot that a cool pool or a dip in the ocean is a real refresher.