Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rico (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rico-20138/)

Sue Jan 3rd, 1998 03:41 PM

Costa Rico

My husband, myself and my nine year old son are thinking about a trip to Costa Rico in February of 1998. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for us?

Kyoub Jan 4th, 1998 03:13 AM

I would say go to an eco-lodge where you are close to nature. One good one that I know of is at Quepos
www.sicomono.com

Kathy Jan 5th, 1998 04:02 PM

When going to CR. get out of San Jose asap. Stay just long enough to buy some coffee, but you may need to stay there day before you are returning a good hotel is Santo Tomas or Don Carlos .
But get out and go to Manuel Antonio/Quepos you can fly or take bus then from quepos take cab to your hotel it is about 3-5 miles from Quepos to the beaches and there at many hotels on the road some are extremely cheap. We stayed at Plinio (fax506/777/0558 much better to fax than to call rates 55.00 usd for 2level loft style room inc breakfast. They also have a med size pool and only 12 guest rooms so you may have the pool to yourselves. If you want to go to the National Park it is a long walk to take bus go to the park early 8-9AM if you want to see monkeys. You can go to the beach without paying the entrance fee to the park but you should to into the park at least 1 time there are a number of sodas (open air restaurants down by the park) good for a nice lunch.
For dinner the Plinio has a great menu also Barba Roja and next door is Karolas both great food.
In Quepos there are a few shops get coffee if you havent yet
If you have time to to Arenal volcano and HOT springs.We stayed to Arenal Lodge I don't recommend it (the rooms were nice but food was horrible). Better to stay in town and then book tour for volcano and hot springs there it would give you more freedom and be much less expensive. I hope this helps.
Have a great time and take lots of pictures.

Kathy Jan 5th, 1998 04:05 PM

When going to CR. get out of San Jose asap. Stay just long enough to buy some coffee, but you may need to stay there day before you are returning a good hotel is Santo Tomas or Don Carlos .
But get out and go to Manuel Antonio/Quepos you can fly or take bus then from quepos take cab to your hotel it is about 3-5 miles from Quepos to the beaches and there at many hotels on the road some are extremely cheap. We stayed at Plinio (fax506/777/0558 much better to fax than to call rates 55.00 usd for 2level loft style room inc breakfast. They also have a med size pool and only 12 guest rooms so you may have the pool to yourselves. If you want to go to the National Park it is a long walk to take bus go to the park early 8-9AM if you want to see monkeys. You can go to the beach without paying the entrance fee to the park but you should to into the park at least 1 time there are a number of sodas (open air restaurants down by the park) good for a nice lunch.
For dinner the Plinio has a great menu also Barba Roja and next door is Karolas both great food.
In Quepos there are a few shops get coffee if you havent yet
If you have time to to Arenal volcano and HOT springs.We stayed to Arenal Lodge I don't recommend it (the rooms were nice but food was horrible). Better to stay in town and then book tour for volcano and hot springs there it would give you more freedom and be much less expensive. I hope this helps.
Have a great time and take lots of pictures.

Joe Davis Jan 18th, 1998 07:10 AM

Try the Central Pacific village of Nosara. Great beaches, great locals (Ticos) and truly a great experience. Plenty of local small restaurants to eat and hotels for rest. I've been vacationing there for 11 years- here's my recommendations:
The Guilded Iguana- small hotel and restaurant with a great bar and plenty of groomed yard space for the little one to run around in.
Marlin bills- A very good restaaurant run by Bill and Pamfrom the Florida Keys.
The Bambu Restaurant- In the village of Nosara great lunches and conversation.
Try www.Nosara.com
If you get to The guilded Iguana sak for Patty Doe and tell her Joe sent you.