Costa Rican food and allergies.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is allergic to eggs, peanuts and tree nuts. Based on my research, there aren't too many Costa Rican food dishes that contain those allergens. How is allergy awareness in CR? Will restaurants take it seriously and give genuine answers when I ask them about the ingredients in the food?

On our trip to Mexico last year, my son just lived on Chicken/Cheese Quesadillas... ...he can never have enough of cheese!
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 08:11 AM

The food in CR is pretty simple. I don't recall ever seeing peanuts or tree nuts in anything we've had. Eggs are common at breakfast. Allergen awareness would vary from place to place. Do you speak Spanish at all? The most popular food is casados - a meat item such as chicken, tilapia, or beef paired with plantains, salad, and rice and beans.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM

If you are not fluent enough in Spanish to explain these allergies to waiters (etc.), you could have the explanations and inquiries translated and put into writing before you leave. Eggs may be avoidable, and nuts aren't common, but it is possible that cooking oils (especially for deep frying) might include peanut oil. Some people find they are allergic to mangos. I am sure you will have appropriate emergency medication with you on the trip.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 05:32 AM

What Kinkazote says is right on. Not sure how reactive your son is to oils, but that could be an issue. Aside from that it should be pretty easy to avoid eggs and nuts. For breakfast he can have Gallo Pinto without eggs (sin huevos) but with natilla (basically sour cream), cheese, tortillas and plantains, and feel just like a Tico....

Plenty of cheese for him, and plenty of simply grilled meat, chicken and fish... Not to mention the fresh fruits, fruit juices, etc, etc