Search

Costa Rican Dinner Menu?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rican Dinner Menu?

Well I'm still working on planning my wedding in CR next March & am now trying to determine a dinner menu for the event, I'm interested in having Costa Rican food & was wondering if those who have been before & know the regional food could offer some menu suggestions including: appetizer, salad, entree(s), drinks, and a desert with Costa Rican flare (nothing fancy needed or particularly desired)

What would you want to eat & drink at a wedding in CR on the mid-Pacific coast just after sunset?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:25 PM

Ceviche would be good.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Lots of fresh fruit, of course.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Tres leches cake for dessert. And I agree w/ ceviche for the appetizer and lots of fruit. They have a lot of good, fresh fish. I had some with a delicious butter & caper sauce there once.
Sandy
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:03 AM

In the northern Guanacaste area, which isn't to far because the country is so small, is some of the best beef you will ever have. So steak is also an option. The fish is also an awesome choice, but we found that we ate what they had caught that day in most areas, so planning may be difficult. Tres leches is an awesome choice as well. Congrats, enjoy and good luck.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM

Well I would be careful with steak. For one, some places use Costa Rican meat and do not age their meat. Makes a big difference. They're also grass fed and it just tastes different. Some places go straight to the US and Argentina for the meat we're more used to, so keep that in mind.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:38 PM

I couldn't get enough of the delicious rice with shrimp or rice with chicken dishes which appear on the menu at every little soda we stopped at. I was never disappointed.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Well I think we will probably not include steak, if for no other reason but the cost -- I'm definitely hoping for some fresh fish.

Got this menu option from one caterer, any opinions? It seems pricey at $35pp for CR, but it's a wedding I realize I will get charged more

Homemade Breads

Mixed Greens Salad with Fresh Herbs, Lemon Zest, Cherry Tomatoes and a Lemon-Yogurt Vinaigrette

Local Costa Rican “Ceviche” served with Plantain Chips

Marinated grilled Vegetable Antipasto

Roasted Chicken Breast (bone on) served with Caramelized Onions and Guava Glaze

Macadamia crusted Mahi Mahi with a Cilantro Herb Sauce
White Rice with Pine Nuts and Raisins

Herb Roasted Potatoes
Julienne vegetables

Crepes with “Dulce de Leche”
Lemon Tart
$ 35.00 per person
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM

No gallo pinto?!?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM

CRido: The menu you listed sounds wonderful. We recently spent a couple of weeks in CR and my husband was quite dissapointed in the meat he had. Overall wherever we travelled the food was fabulous. I had Mahi Mahi 2-3 times and it was fresh and so flavorful. All of the fish, including all of the shellfish was the best. The sauces and flavorings were incredible.

I want to mention that the fresh fruit, particularly pineapple was so amazing that I would suggest considering pineapple somewhere in the menu. Also, any of the bread and the desserts we had were dissapointing.Most of the bread was like a white dried out ordinary bread. Even at a B&B we stayed at the owners went out and got what they said was real high quality bread and it still was just alright. I would definitely check to see what bread the caterer has in mind.

The crepes and suzettes are popular desserts in CR and found them not that great. I found the desserts either too sweet ot too bland. One of the crepes we had had so much liquer on it - it was overpowering. I would suggest having a beautiful platter of fresh fruit part of your dessert. I don't know if they have chocolate fountains in CR but one with all that delectable fruit would be just incredible.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Juldie -- thank you for info -- we are trying to create an alternate (possibly less expensive) menu, I will definitely inquire about fresh fruit for desert & possibly a chocolate fountain or tres leches cake

anyone have thoughts on drinks as well? I think we're going to nix having wine, maybe a little champagne for a toast, beer (what kind?) and maybe a mixed drink (any ideas?)

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM

sandy c has it right,
3 leches and ceviche are 2 of the best things to eat here.
iŽve lived in Guianacaste for 3 years and the beef is NOT good, 65% of all beef in CR is exported to US for pet food!!
good beef breeds like angus and hereford canŽt take the sub here, also the cattle are left to wander in the hills making the beef stringy and thereŽs no tradition here of hanging meat.
you CAN get good beef, but youŽll pay for it and HEY beef at a wedding in the tropics????
i prefer yellow fin tuna to mahi mahi but that might be too expensive and it should really be eaten as sashimi which i guess some guests might not like!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM

oh, and the best beer here is Bavaria Gold, but Pilsen is more common.
Imperial is OK when very cold, but once it warms up it tastes like ****