Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica with Child? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-with-child-658432/)

katie1050 Nov 12th, 2006 05:03 PM

Costa Rica with Child?

We have a 6 y/o and are thinking of going to Costa Rica in April. Would you go with a young child? Also, are there any good tour operators with packages for families? Any must do's with a child? Thanks for any suggestions.

shillmac Nov 13th, 2006 03:37 PM

We've experienced CR with our granddaughter every year. 5 months, 17 months, and next summer she'll be 2.5. People do it all the time. Many things about CR are very child friendly. Your 6 year old will be able to enjoy almost anything you guys choose to do with the exception of river rafting (white water) and possibly the ziplines (although a guide can assist your child across).

There is a very nice bird zoo (called Zoo Ave) in Alajuela, just minutes from the airport. Your 6 year old would like the waterfalls, beach time, etc. We took our granddaughter to Savegre with us and she loved it there with so many pretty flowers, easy hikes, and cool climate. That is a cloud forest region near San Gerardo de Dota south of SJO.

Just go--you can choose your destinations and pick your activities once you arrive. You won't be disappointed! Your child will have a great time!

Try to arrange part of your time at Manuel Antonio where you can see lots of wildlife in the park and enjoy a nice beach (second one in) with great swimmable water. On the way to MA, stop at the Rio Tarcoles for a look at the crocodiles! You'll have a grand adventure! :)

sandyc Nov 13th, 2006 05:06 PM

You'll all have a great time. On my group trips, I've found that the guides at Swiss Travel are great with kids. You might want to contact [email protected].

Another good idea is the Cano Negro tour -- sit in a slow-moving boat and see all kinds of wildlife -- monkeys, sloths, lots of birds, crocodiles, lizards, bats, etc.

Sandy

katie1050 Jul 19th, 2007 08:43 AM

We just booked a family trip to Costa Rica through Abercrombie & Kent. Check it out at www.abercrombiekent.com because it looks like a great itinerary. We have a 7 year old.

volcanogirl Jul 19th, 2007 09:22 AM

I'd recommend a night at the Peace Lodge (an hour outside San Jose) - they have an aviary, butterfly house, ranarium (frogs), serpentarium, and a hummingbird garden where your child can hand feed hummingbirds. Also agree with Manuel Antonio beach and park to see lots of monkeys and the Cano Negro tour out of Arenal/La Fortuna to view amazing wildlife and have a fun boat ride.

hipvirgochick Jul 19th, 2007 12:05 PM

I don't know...those prices ssem high to me. My daughter and I travelled for 17 days for around the same price as what they quote for 1 person for 9 days. However, they do look lux and like the provide excellent guides.