Costa Rica trip with kids

Jun 15th, 2019, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Costa Rica trip with kids

Hi there, we are planning a 7 day trip to Costa Rica with the kids (7 and 10) in early December. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on some must see places and things to do for kids.
also is it safe

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Jun 15th, 2019, 08:45 AM

I'd suggest a combination of the Arenal area with Manuel Antonio; we did that for our first trip. It's the most popular combo for first timers. Good infrastructure in both spots. We've felt safe everywhere that we've gone. It's safer to stay in hotels vs. VRBO or AirBnB type spots. I wouldn't be out late at night alone, wear flashy jewelry, etc. We keep valuables in the safe when we're not using them. The most common crime would be petty theft from cars, so just don't leave anything in your car unattended.
Jun 15th, 2019, 08:48 AM

A few activities we've enjoyed in the Arenal area are hiking at the gorgeous Fortuna waterfall, doing the Mistico Hanging Bridges, going to the Bogarin Trail to see sloths, colorful frogs, caimans, and neat birds, enjoying an evening at the natural hot springs like Tabacon or Eco Termales, tubing at The Springs Resort and Spa, doing the Cano Negro tour with Desafio to see wildlife, doing the Penas Blancas safari float with Desafio, ziplining at Sky Trek, rafting with Rios Tropicales, and a fun cooking class with Costa Rica Cooking.
Jun 15th, 2019, 08:50 AM

In Manuel Antonio, we like Manuel Antonio Expeditions for tours - have used them for a guided tour of the national park and the Damas mangrove tour. The national park has a beautiful beach inside and is full of fairly tame wildlife, usually lots of sloths and monkeys around. We also like sailing and the Villa Vanilla spice tour. We've gone snorkeling, but it wasn't great since the visibility in the water can be clouded. You might also like Vacation Buggy - we haven't had a chance to try it, but looks fun and gets great reviews.