Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

More than just a Travel Agent (Buenos Aires)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually have a rule of not recommending other people's services because I would feel guilty if someone had a bad experience with the person I vouched for. Mike ([email protected]) from http://www.argentinago.com is the exception to my recommendation rule because he exceeded all of my expectations with the experience I am about to share.

About two weeks ago, I emailed Mike (an American living in Buenos Aires) to ask if he could send a friend of mine in Buenos Aires some flowers and a bottle of perfume. I was expecting a negative response, but instead I get an enthusiastic response of yes. My friend was very surprised when everything arrived, but apparently the perfume bottle had busted in the package. I emailed Mike about what had happened and he personally delivered another bottle the very next day (on Sunday). My friend and I were very impressed with his dedication.

Mike was very professional, extremely honest, and caring throughout the whole process. He asked me many questions to make sure he knew what I wanted such as what kind of flowers I wanted and what bottle size of perfume I wanted. When everything came out a little cheaper he even offered me a refund. My friend commented on the quality of beautiful flowers that she received. But Mike delivering another bottle on Sunday (Mother's Day in Argentina) put him over the top for me. He truly went the extra mile.

I did rent one of Mike's apartments, http://www.apartmentsba.com, about a year ago last October and it was a smooth transaction. He seems to know the importance of having great communication with his customers. He is the only guy I will use in Buenos Aires for future transactions. Mike is a true gentleman and I recommend his services.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM

There seem to be a number of outstanding travel agents who are based in Buenos Aires.

A few months ago, I have received a very high recommendation on an agent who had previously worked for argentinago.com - Mayra Brill at [email protected].

With ease, I've been able to set up trips for Iguazu, Calafate, and obtain an outstanding apartment in Recoleta. Being a local, Mayra was able to get me better rates than those that were published on a couple other boards. Also, Mayra speaks fluent English and appears to have been in the travel agent business for quite a few years.

I have no personal gain in lauding her services, but I have to admit that she gave me outstanding deals on the best places (Sheraton in Iguazu, luxury apt. in BsAs, etc.). If I were looking for an agent, send her a quick note via e-mail and compare deals with other agents; she'll write you back immediately and give you excellent honest service.

-sueng
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM

I travel to Argentina regularly and have made it a point to use the services of different travel agents so I can pass along recommendations.

Mike at Argentinago, Cintia at wowargentina and Mayra at argentinatravelservices are three of the best. I have had excellent experiences with all three.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:07 PM

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful stay in Buenos Aires. We relied on Cintia and Matias (www.wowargentina.com.ar)to make all of our local arrangements. We stayed at Hotel Bel-Aire, in Recoleta, in a junior suite (at the recommendation of Cintia). The room was lovely, with a large double bed and a sitting area. We especially liked the computers that were in a room, off of the loby, that allowed us free access to the internet and to our webmail. The hotel was very well located, within an easy and inexpensive taxi ride to all parts of the city.
We took a half day city tour with Matias. We traveled at our own slow pace, were never rushed, and went to all of the high spots plus some areas that we requested. Matias, who speaks excellent English, is knowledgeable and was an excellent guide.
Restaurants and cafes abound and we took advantage of them. We spent each day of our visit, wandering the various neighborhoods and enjoying people-watching, store-browsing, and coffee and tea-drinking. We felt safe and our interaction with the local population was cordial, if not warm.
Tigre was our only tour outside of the city. It was interesting and we learned more about the history of the region. After seeing the islands, Matias was at our disposal to go anywhere else we wanted.
A high point of our stay was the show at Senor Tango, arranged by Cintia. I expected a good show, but the spectacle exceeded my expectation. The dancing, singing, and orchestras were fantastic. And, the feeling in the large dinner theatre was like that of a happy family gathering. The show was one of the highlights of our trip.
One warning, check out the peso notes when you get them. We have a couple of small counterfeit notes that were passed on us. Check the left margin of bills for a sharp watermark of the person on the face of the bill. Also, the denomination number is printed in such a way that if you tip the bill forward or backward, the color of the number changes from a green to a black. The best way to avoid counterfeit bills is to shop in reputable stores. We got our bogus bills at the arts fair in Recoleta and from a taxi driver.
When you venture out, take along a lot of small bills and some 1 peso coins. We found that many people could not or said they could not make change of even a 10 peso note (About US$3.30 or 3 Euros).
If you use taxis a lot, it is important that you be able to pay the taxista without asking for change.
Also, remember that you need US$18 to pay your airport exit tax. However, that can be paid with a credit card. You can apply to get VAT back when you leave at the airport, but they will want to give you the refund in pesos. Or, you can wait a long time to have the refund credited to a credit card account (where it will be exchanged for dollars).
Once again, our trip was wonderful and we look forward to the next time we will visit Argentina. That time, we will want to go to the Falls and, perhaps, to the Pampas. And, we will call on Cintia and Matias to make our arrangements.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:34 AM

topping
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:10 PM

I also had a great experience with Mike at Argentinago.com http://www.argentinago.com I emailed him a few weeks ago trying to book a hotel reservation at a 5 star hotel in Recoleta that I heard good things about. Rather than make the reservation, he emailed me the name and email of one of his competitors telling me that they had a lower price for that particular hotel.

Never in my 15+ years of traveling has a travel agent done anything like that. It is clear to see that Mike has a genuine concern for his clients. I am still amazed at this type of customer service. I was tempted to pay more and told Mike that. He told me that if he was booking a room he would want to know if there was a lower rate too.

Clearly a different kind of company. It's ironic because I didn't use Mike to book my hotel reservation but he just showed me a luxury apartment he owns and rents out. It is AMAZING! It is right around the corner from the hotel I am staying at now in Recoleta.

I was really amazed by the apartment and the furniture in it. The building is new and the details were amazing. I will book this apartment my next trip. His other company can be found at: http://www.apartmentsba.com He rents out many nice apartments in Buenos Aires but I doubt the others are as nice as the one I saw.

I had dinner with Mike and he is a very nice guy that knows alot about the city. He really loves this city and it shows. Everyone at the restaurants on Junin street where we ate seemed to know him and greeted him like a dear friend. I can't say enough good things about him.

I agree with Drdawggy. I purposely use different travel agencies when I travel. I had good experiences with other agents but I find here in Buenos Aires sometimes they just go on vacation and never return emails/calls since they are a mom/pop type set up. It's good BA is full of so many great people!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 08:07 AM

topping this message