Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica Trip Report- Grand Papagayo and Peace Lodge (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-trip-report-grand-papagayo-and-peace-lodge-713456/)

lmsiegel Jun 15th, 2007 12:08 PM

Costa Rica Trip Report- Grand Papagayo and Peace Lodge

Hi everyone! I'm back with my trip report from my amazing trip last week in Costa Rica. First let me begin by saying I have offically caught the Bug! Costa Rica is by far the most amazing country I have ever been to- so much to see, do, the people are wonderful and the country is so full of life and beauty. It was not like any other experience.
So we started with 4 days on the Pacific Coast (beach) at the Grand Papagayo. It was a wonderfull AI, with great food, activities, service, etc. Fully enjoyed my stay there. Took a trip ziplining, mud bath/ hot springs, etc. and soaked up the sun. Just want to advise again- do not expect Caribbean beaches here. I did not, so I was OK with the beach, but it's not a beach for one that is looking for crystal blue waters and white sand. Still very nice and the water was nice and warm.

Then we got Luis to pick us up and drive us to Peace Lodge. He was great!! Made the trip very entertaining and taught us a lot about Costa Rica (thanks Luis!). We had many funny conversations about Fodors and such, and it was a great and scenic ride. Luis is the best!

Once we got to peace lodge, I immediately had to add a few layers on. There was about a 30 degree temperature difference- but again- this is expected since we were now in the mountains/rain forest. Peace Lodge could not have been any more amazing. Such a beautiful place- unlike anything I have ever seen in my life. We spent 3 fun filled days there and it was just right! The hotel was absoutely beautiful and had many fun activites as well.
If anyone wants any more info please let me know and I will be happy to share! I know I was on this board for MONTHS asking questions and such so if I can be of any help- feel free to contact me!! Cant wait to go back again!! I wish I had more time there- but I will definitely be back :)

cmerrell Jun 15th, 2007 06:26 PM

Welcome home lmsiegel! Glad you enjoyed your trip. There's just something magical about Costa Rica, isn't there?

I made my first visit last December (my itinerary also included the wonderful Peace Lodge and La Paz gardens). I am currently planning trip #2 for this coming December. Although there are many destinations on my travel wish list, I just can't think of anywhere I would rather visit this year than Costa Rica!

Are you planning your second trip yet? ;-)

roadadvisor Jun 15th, 2007 07:30 PM

Thank you...Muchas gracias!!

With passengers like you guys...I feel that I have to pay you guys to share a great day!!!...you are a beautifull couple...we love people like you...hopefully soon ..I will go to the airport to meet, little Klein!!

God bless you...and thank you again!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

hipvirgochick Jun 15th, 2007 07:39 PM

lmsiegel -- So glad you had an amazing trip. CR is just wonderful, isn't it!?!?! Sigh. Keep the good feelings :)

hijacking -- cmerrell, I too am already planning a 2nd trip back! How was it in December? I'm thinking of November or December next time as well.

cmerrell Jun 16th, 2007 06:46 PM

Hi hipvirgochick,

We were there the first week in December and have plans to go back that same week this year. The goal was to precede peak tourist season, and we were hoping that this timeframe would be close enough to the end of the green season that we would have decent weather.

This worked out quite well for us overall. The only bummer was that a tropical depression was hovering over the Arenal area while we were there. The volcano was socked in by clouds each night (although we lucked out and got a clear view of it for a few hours one afternoon). We also got drenched at the hanging bridges. However, we did get some breaks in the weather as well and had a great adventure at Sky Trek. It drizzled most of the way to Cano Negro, but cleared up for the time that we were actually on the river. All in all, the rain didn't stop us from enjoying that wonderful Arenal region. By the time we got to Manuel Antonio, the weather was primarily hot and sunny.

So my long winded answer to your question is to go during that time frame by all means! :-) The tourist crowds were light and we had an absolutely wonderful time everywhere we went! The only possible caveat is that I've heard the end of November/beginning of December is the rainiest time of year to visit the caribbean side, so take that into consideration if you are planning to head back to that coast.

Which locations are you thinking of this time around?

hipvirgochick Jun 16th, 2007 07:27 PM

cmerrell -- Darn work always gets in the way. I'm trying to arrange vacation time around busier times at work so I thought Nov/Dec might be an option. I'm also thinking about the last week of March 1st week of April, but I realize that's high tourist season. Being in Seattle, I want to go when there's less chance of rain ;)

Where we go will depend on how many days I can get off. Right now I say back to Banana Azul and BDC for sure. If I have more than 10 days, maybe Selva Verde or Iguana Lodge...or...?

If I convince my friend to bring her daughter for a few days, they want to go to Peace Lodge again for 2 nights, but I don't really feel the need to go back. I experienced it and I'm good. I don't think she can afford BDC, but we'll see...

Now, I guess I gotta go work on my trip report!

hipvirgochick Jun 16th, 2007 07:31 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot, also contemplating Las Caletas on the Drake Bay side for a budget split...

tully Jun 17th, 2007 05:25 AM

Sounds like you had a wonderful time - always nice to hear when someone cathes 'the bug'! I agree the temp drop at PL is quite noticable, weird to be sweating your behind off somewhere then going to PL and wondering where your sweatshirt is!